The Student Room Group

A levels and Btecs

Hiya
I'm currently applying to colleges and I have the option to do certain subjects as A-levels and or Btecs. I'm not sure which to choose. I am aware that A-levels are more like gcses and classroom based and Btecs are more career based.

Can i do more than one BTec at the same time?
Reply 1
Original post by ShrekandDonke_01
Hiya
I'm currently applying to colleges and I have the option to do certain subjects as A-levels and or Btecs. I'm not sure which to choose. I am aware that A-levels are more like gcses and classroom based and Btecs are more career based.

i searched on google and found this answer;
’As said before, you can study a combination of BTECs and A-Levels at most sixth forms around the UK. Often, students choose to take one BTEC along with two A-Levels, to make up to three qualifications which are required by most universities. However, it is equally as possible to take two BTECs and a single A-Level.’ from thinkstudent.co.uk

idk if that helps but yeah
Hiya

There are different types of BTEC, which can be compared to A levels in terms of their "size":

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (3 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Diploma (2 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma (1.5 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate (1 x A level)
BTEC Level 3 Certificate (0.5 x A level)

So if you were taking a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, you'd only take one of them because it's the same "size" as 3 A levels. Or you could take a BTEC Level 3 Diploma (2 A levels) alongside a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate (1 A level), or perhaps 3 BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificates (1 A level each).

You could also take BTEC qualifications alongside one or more A levels, and in fact some universities/courses will only accept BTECs if you also have at least one A level.

That raises the most important thing to check when considering your A levels or BTEC choices - check what universities want. A few won't accept BTECs at all. Others will accept some BTECs but not others. So check before you commit.
Thank you very much @elle9 and @DataVenia !!
Hiya

Some BTEC's allow you to do A levels along side, such as Engineering they allow you to do A levle maths and space engineering A level maths and physics

Quick Reply