The Student Room Group

Flu symptoms.

Hi guys. I think I have had the flu since Tuesday. Never in my 17 years have I had such a bad temperature - I usually never get colds and never illnesses as intense as this one. I missed school all week and I was in bed all week because I was that ill.
Thankfully I am beginning to get better, like my chesty cough is starting to go away.
However, I have realised that when I try to walk around or try to bend down to reach something or go down the stairs, my legs really struggle to do so. I find it quite weird as before my cold, I was perfectly able to do so.
Lying in bed or sitting down my legs are fine but moving around they’re not. Also, my ears have been a bit blocked too. And whenever I try to walk around my head feels a little bit weird - like dizziness.
Would this all be due to the flu that I have had and is this relatively normal ??
Thank you
Reply 1
Hey, I’m sick rn too haha! But my symptoms are the same as yours and I’d say you should get checked for anaemia, I have it so that’s why when I get sick it’s 10x worse than it should be! I wouldn’t be worried otherwise tho :smile:
Original post by Alish_2
Hey, I’m sick rn too haha! But my symptoms are the same as yours and I’d say you should get checked for anaemia, I have it so that’s why when I get sick it’s 10x worse than it should be! I wouldn’t be worried otherwise tho :smile:

Ahhh I Hope you get better soon :smile:
My mom and sister are anemic but I have been checked and I’m only a little bit anemic (I’m not on any medication).
It’s weird how my head spins when I walk but hopefully it’ll go away.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys. I think I have had the flu since Tuesday. Never in my 17 years have I had such a bad temperature - I usually never get colds and never illnesses as intense as this one. I missed school all week and I was in bed all week because I was that ill.
Thankfully I am beginning to get better, like my chesty cough is starting to go away.
However, I have realised that when I try to walk around or try to bend down to reach something or go down the stairs, my legs really struggle to do so. I find it quite weird as before my cold, I was perfectly able to do so.
Lying in bed or sitting down my legs are fine but moving around they’re not. Also, my ears have been a bit blocked too. And whenever I try to walk around my head feels a little bit weird - like dizziness.
Would this all be due to the flu that I have had and is this relatively normal ??
Thank you

Your symptoms are all consistent with what my partner has recently had. She's also recently been positive for Covid. It's either a new strain of Covid or the latest strain of Flu. I had it too but didn't get the dizziness.

It will pass so don't worry.

I took Vit C, D3 and Zinc which is what I use against Covid too. Lasted about a week but I still have an annoying tickle in the back of my throat on and off.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Your symptoms are all consistent with what my partner has recently had. She's also recently been positive for Covid. It's either a new strain of Covid or the latest strain of Flu. I had it too but didn't get the dizziness.

It will pass so don't worry.

I took Vit C, D3 and Zinc which is what I use against Covid too. Lasted about a week but I still have an annoying tickle in the back of my throat on and off.

Ah thank you for the reassurance. I should perhaps take a covid test.
Would you suggest that I stop taking paracetamol as I’ve been taking it every day, multiple times, since Monday ??
It’s almost been a week now?
Original post by Anonymous
Ah thank you for the reassurance. I should perhaps take a covid test.
Would you suggest that I stop taking paracetamol as I’ve been taking it every day, multiple times, since Monday ??
It’s almost been a week now?

I can't give you medical advice.

I will tell you what I believe and do though. I know that when you have a fever or temperature that this is NOT something caused by a bug or virus. It is your own body's primary defense mechanism. Your body does this automatically and what it does is stop the bugs replicating. That raise in temperature is what prevents the bugs/viruses from multiplying. Without it the bugs multiply exponentially and can overrun your body leading to things like pneumonia.

So, knowing that a fever/temperature is a good thing, knowing that it is my own body's primary defense mechanism, I make sure I don't do anything to obstruct that. After all I'd be pretty stupid to oppose my own body healing systems wouldn't I?!

Now I happen to know that painkillers like paracetamol and others can force a fever down.

Because of that I personally DO NOT take paracetamols when I get a temperature from a cold or Flu etc. It would be counter productive imo.

Here's what the NHS says about fever:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/fever-in-adults

What causes a fever?

"A fever is your body's natural response to many common illnesses such as:

flu
tonsillitis
kidney or urinary tract infections (UTIs)

Fever helps your body fight infections by stimulating your immune system (your body’s natural defence). By increasing your body’s temperature, a fever makes it harder for the bacteria and viruses that cause infections to survive."

If you get a fever you can take your own temperature if you have a thermometer and make sure it doesn't rise to dangerous levels.
Generally speaking I just let my fever run its course because it stops the bugs replicating and that makes it quicker and easier for my body to generate and send in the army of white cells to kill what bugs are left.

If you've been taking paracetamol whilst you were having a temperature then you may well have obstructed your body's own defense mechanism and thereby prolongued your illness. Your body knows what to do. Let it do it imo.

Defo worth doing a Covid test and if you feel very unwell contact your GP.
(edited 1 year ago)
The flue symptoms is the most common disease in the winter and that are the viral infection in many people ...

Quick Reply