The Student Room Group

Start studying hard in Uni too late for my career?

I was a A* student in GCSE and have always been the brightest pupil praised by all of my teachers. but during my alevels I suffered with mental health and failed everything. I am studying at home to retake my exams this year and is aiming for A*A*A* in Maths, Further maths, and Physics. I am scared because Oxbridge and competitive courses in other Universities Will not take me as I have resat.
I am worried for my future, if I am to become a successful physicist or Engineer, is it too late to start working hard in University? I didn't study at all during my two years in sixthform and the best I can do now is to achieve A*s in my three resit subjects.
To people in the Engineering industry and people that does physical science PHDs, how important is alevels really in your career and will my resat alevels hinder mine?
I often worry too much and overthinks, it's taking a toll on my studies as I am at home relying on my will to keep me going. These worries upsets me and I really need to hear reassuring words from people that knows more.
I think growing up believing myself as talented and smart set me up with really high standards. The standards which I don't live up to anymore, I have a fragile ego and feels incompetent everyday, I've been struggling to get anything done since my depression started.
(edited 1 year ago)
Even if you resit and get good grades, I am sure lots of unis will take you. Just not oxbridge and you don’t have to go to oxbridge. There are plenty of other unis that employers would love to see you go to such as RG unis so pls don’t worry :smile:
At the end of the day you have no control over unis admissions policies. You are resitting, you can’t change that.

Email your target unis and ask them directly, “I am resitting and hoping for these grades, will I be at a disadvantage compared to a candidate who did them in one sitting?” It may be worth disclosing that MH adversely affected you the first time around (Google mitigating circumstances + uni name).

You can then use their replies to apply selectively.
Reply 3
I saw people(mostly law graduates but also some Engineers) talking about graduate schemes and firms not accepting graduates with resat alevels, I'm wondering if that's the case in Engineering. Or is it something not to worry about for engineering
Original post by Yan1234
I saw people(mostly law graduates but also some Engineers) talking about graduate schemes and firms not accepting graduates with resat alevels, I'm wondering if that's the case in Engineering. Or is it something not to worry about for engineering

Commenting for when theres an answer later as I’m sort of in a similar position for accounting as I’ve heard they may not accept resits

Quick Reply

Latest