The Student Room Group

Can TV licencing really tell if you are receiving broadcasts?

They send all these threatening letters out, make you fear spot checks, spread the myth of "detector vans", but in reality do they really have any means of telling whether you are using a TV to receive broadcasts? It seems all the threating letters they send you are based purely on whether or not you are registed on their database as paying for a TV licence.

I understand that you do not have to declare whether or not you infact own a TV to them, and that they have no right to enter your home to search for one. So, how feasible is it to own a TV and watch broadcasts on it without ever paying for a TV licence?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

No they cant.
and theres another tv licence thread popped up a bit ago.
Go read that.
Reply 2
They mass send those letters out in their thousands.
Reply 3
burninginme
They send all these threatening letters out, make you fear spot checks, spread the myth of "detector vans", but in reality do they really have any means of telling whether you are using a TV to receive broadcasts? It seems all the threating letters they send you are based purely on whether or not you are registed on their database as paying for a TV licence.

I understand that you do not have to declare whether or not you infact own a TV to them, and that they have no right to enter your home to search for one. So, how feasible is it to own a TV and watch broadcasts on it without ever paying for a TV licence?

Thanks

Remember as well, you do not need to own a TV license to have a TV. You could be using your TV for playing games or watching DVD's.
If your tv is CAPABLE of recieving transmissions then you MUST have a tv licence.
Even if you dont watch tv on it.
Reply 5
Yes they can!

But only if they come in and turn on your tv :p:
Reply 6
No, they can't detect whether you're watching TV or not, but I don't think they claim to be able to either.
The amount of people in this thread that are wrong is hilarious.

Of course TV detector vans exist and work. We can send a man to the moon and split the atom but can't pick up a simple broadcast?

Your TV contains a local oscillator. High frequency 'TV' signals are first interpretted by the oscillator in order to lower the frequency and make it more manageble to the visual and audio equipment on your TV.

The oscillator emits an electromagnetic signal, which can be readily picked up by someone in the vicinity (I.e. in the street).

Not only this but the oscillator signal frequency is always 39.5MhZ higher than the requency of the channel you're watching.

Not only can they tell whether the TV is on, they can tell what channel you're watching.

Last year they caught 440,000 people with the technology.

Edit: Obviously the data and address is taken and sent back to the main database (called LASSY), where it will quickly tell them you don't have a license.

Edit 2: They can also just measure the EM radiation from your timebase scanning coils. Doesn't tell them what channel you're on but it does tell them you're watching a broadcast.
Reply 8
TommyWannabe

Of course TV detector vans exist and work. We can send a man to the moon and split the atom but can't pick up a simple broadcast?

Your TV contains a local oscillator. High frequency 'TV' signals are first interpretted by the oscillator in order to lower the frequency and make it more manageble to the visual and audio equipment on your TV.

The oscillator emits an electromagnetic signal, which can be readily picked up by someone in the vicinity (I.e. in the street).

Not only this but the oscillator signal frequency is always 39.5MhZ higher than the requency of the channel you're watching.

Not only can they tell whether the TV is on, they can tell what channel you're watching.

Edit: Obviously the address is taken and sent back to the main database, where it will quickly tell them you don't have a license.

But then how would they be able to tell where said frequency is coming from? How do they know if they are picking up the signal from a television in my bedroom from a foot away in the next house. Yes it is possible but in actual fact they don't.
TommyWannabe

Edit: Obviously the data and address is taken and sent back to the main database (called LASSY), where it will quickly tell them you don't have a license.

Edit 2: They can also just measure the EM radiation from your timebase scanning coils. Doesn't tell them what channel you're on but it does tell them you're watching a broadcast.

Where did you get those figures from?

Proof, please :smile:
Reply 10
I heard there are all sorts of loopholes, you don't have to let them in the first time they come, they have to give you one warning before taking any action, don't know if it's all true but the general consesus among people I'v spoke to seems to be don't bother paying it :dontknow:

Doesn't say they were all caught by the vans...

Plus there's no independent verification of any of this :s-smilie:
Reply 13
If you're living in halls it would be very hard for them to prove the broadcasts are coming from your room.

Also, it's ironic that TV liscence propaganda can be found on the BBC website.

AHAHA ha too funny.

It's not exactly impartial evidence is it. Clearly the bbc wants everyone to think they have majoc vans and men in black to give you a sound beating when you don't pay up but they would, it's where they get their funding.

Oh and by the way, I don't not pay my tv license because I don't want to, I don't pay it because of the heavy-handed and threatening ways they go about collecting the money.
Bubblebee
But then how would they be able to tell where said frequency is coming from? How do they know if they are picking up the signal from a television in my bedroom from a foot away in the next house. Yes it is possible but in actual fact they don't.

And your evidence is what? Come on. You're hopeless.

Bubblebee
It's not exactly impartial evidence is it. Clearly the bbc wants everyone to think they have majoc vans and men in black to give you a sound beating when you don't pay up but they would, it's where they get their funding.

Oh and by the way, I don't not pay my tv license because I don't want to, I don't pay it because of the heavy-handed and threatening ways they go about collecting the money.

The figures are from the TV licensing agency. Who exactly do you want to get the figures from?

she
If you're living in halls it would be very hard for them to prove the broadcasts are coming from your room.

Also, it's ironic that TV liscence propaganda can be found on the BBC website.

AHAHA ha too funny.

They had handheld detectors before they installed them in vans. There goes your argument. I can see it sadly trailing over the horizon.
My evidence is all over the internet. Use google.

Till there is some undeniable proof (not put out by the beeb) then I am perfectly happy to assume they are a scare tactic and a silly deterent.
Reply 17
Wait.... I have a large HD tv that I use for a HD player. I NEVER watch tv on it. Do I still have to get a license?
Bubblebee
My evidence is all over the internet. Use google.

Till there is some undeniable proof (not put out by the beeb) then I am perfectly happy to assume they are a scare tactic and a silly deterent.

Ok then, sure.
Reply 19
Their sensors aren't sensitive enough to detect which house the tv is being operated in. I remember reading something about a 50m accuracy range? WTF is that about? That's absolutely useless unless you're trapping lonely shepherds in wales.

Latest

Trending

Trending