The Student Room Group

Ear hair cells allow us to hear sound, and they also make us breathe. How?

Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors, and are also respiratory chemoreceptors at the same time. How exactly, do these cells have two functions at the same time?

Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors (allow us to hear sound) and these same cells are also respiratory chemoreceptors which make us breathe. In 2007 it was discovered that damage, or loss of these cells could cause death from respiratory failure.

In 2007, these scientists made a patent for a device that deaf people will wear during sleep, to monitor their co2 and oxygen levels..

If they stop breathing during sleep, co2 and oxygen get out of range, and the device wakes them up.

In 2011, they confirmed this hypothesis on mice. they put a drug in the mouses ears to remove their ear hairs. this group of mice had breathing problems during sleep, but the mice with intact ear hairs did not...

Does this mean deafness will be fatal? I read that one of the major causes of deafness is loss/damage to the hair cells..
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah, that's why there are no deaf people in the world :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Yeah, that's why there are no deaf people in the world :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that.

The scientists that discovered this function of the ear hairs said that they noticed 30 people who suddenly died during sleep, had hearing loss in their right ear..
Original post by Clara1995
Funny you should say that.

The scientists that discovered this function of the ear hairs said that they noticed 30 people who suddenly died during sleep, had hearing loss in their right ear..

did they also go to sleep with a blocked nose?
Reply 4
They were saying the respiratory chemoreceptors are in the ear not the brain. The ear chemoreceptors send messages to the brain to breathe.

I remember the study was peer reviewed.

I'm wondering if it still could've been fabricated?

As I said, the patent came out in 2007, then a few years later, the same team of scientists did a mouse study or two which confirmed their hypothesis to the T.

Also, no other team of scientists have mentioned anything about ears making us breathe.

Anything related to ears making us breathe is always authored by the same team of scientists (led by the scientist who originally came up with the hypothesis and the patent)

Quick Reply

Latest