The Student Room Group

How difficult for new grad to become outpatient nurse with no bedside experience?

I'm a 2nd-year adult nursing student. I don't want to work as a bedside nurse once I graduate. I hope to work in London. How difficult is it for a new grad to get a job as an outpatient nurse without any bedside experience in London?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sterlar
I'm a 2nd-year adult nursing student. I don't want to work as a bedside nurse once I graduate. I hope to work in London. How difficult is it for a new grad to get a job as an outpatient nurse without any bedside experience in London?

You have at least another year to start worrying about finding a newly qualified nurse position.

What you have to do when you start applying for a job later in your third year is to look at your local NHS hospital's trust job vacancies and see if there's anything for you in regards to working in a outpatient department. You may have to unfortuntely apply for other positions until such time there's suitable vacancies for outpatient department. Just remember that every upcoming newly qualified nurse will also be applying for Jobs.

Obviously you'll have to put in a good interview and

I not getting how you have no experience working in the ward's which would have given you bed side experience as you are in second year.

Registered midwife

@Emily_B ( have you have any other ideas for this person).!
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
You have at least another year to start worrying about finding a newly qualified nurse position.

What you have to do when you start applying for a job later in your third year is to look at your local NHS hospital's trust job vacancies and see if there's anything for you in regards to working in a outpatient department. You may have to unfortuntely apply for other positions until such time there's suitable vacancies for outpatient department. Just remember that every upcoming newly qualified nurse will also be applying for Jobs.

Obviously you'll have to put in a good interview and

I not getting how you have no experience working in the ward's which would have given you bed side experience as you are in second year.

Registered midwife

@Emily_B ( have you have any other ideas for this person).!

I do have experience working in the wards but I dislike it so I want to work as an outpatient nurse straightaway. Outpatient nursing includes GP nurse, ophthalmic nurse, and sexual health nurse.
Original post by Sterlar
I do have experience working in the wards but I dislike it so I want to work as an outpatient nurse straightaway. Outpatient nursing includes GP nurse, ophthalmic nurse, and sexual health nurse.

Okay you should have explain things better about the wards situation.

Not everyone cup of tea working on the ward's but not everyone will be able to work in those positions you mentioned due to the numbers of position available. You have a few options you can apply for once the time to apply comes along in your third year. Hopefully you will get something that you want to do okay. Yes I know what involves with outpatient nursing okay.

I hate the community side of my job reason why I prefer working in the ward's side.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Okay you should have explain things better about the wards situation.

Not everyone cup of tea working on the ward's but not everyone will be able to work in those positions you mentioned due to the numbers of position available. You have a few options you can apply for once the time to apply comes along in your third year. Hopefully you will get something that you want to do okay. Yes I know what involves with outpatient nursing okay.

I hate the community side of my job reason why I prefer working in the ward's side.

Ok, thank you. Maybe I'll start applying for jobs in 3rd year.
Original post by Sterlar

You don't necessarily need ward or nursing home experience straight on qualifying. Many places take newly qualified nurses straight out of their degrees - including district nurses, outpatients, theatres, ICU/HDU, A&E... pretty much any band 5 role will consider applications from newly qualified nurses (as long as there aren't any restrictions listed such as internal applicants only)
GP nursing, commonly known as practice nursing is a bit different to outpatient nursing and can be a bit more challenging to get into, particularly as a new registrant. Not impossible though.
Reply 7
Original post by Emily_B
You don't necessarily need ward or nursing home experience straight on qualifying. Many places take newly qualified nurses straight out of their degrees - including district nurses, outpatients, theatres, ICU/HDU, A&E... pretty much any band 5 role will consider applications from newly qualified nurses (as long as there aren't any restrictions listed such as internal applicants only)

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending