The Student Room Group

Headgirl campaign

Hy I am currently in year 12 and due to the set up of my school prefects are chosen in late September or October. I will be applying for headgirl next year and l was looking for advice on how l could solidify my position as a potential headgirl. The staff like me, I interact well with the students and I play a lot of sports and I’m in line to be the captain for these sports as well as house captain. I believe l look good on paper however my main issue is public speaking as other candidates are great public speakers. So any advice on how to make myself stand out more.
Public speaking is such a big park of being a head girl I would really address that.
That may be by going to a debate club or smth so you have to improve and also it gives you more practise, the improvement in itself or attempt at improvement is a good skill to discuss anyway along with the public speaking x
Original post by Portia Zonke
Hy I am currently in year 12 and due to the set up of my school prefects are chosen in late September or October. I will be applying for headgirl next year and l was looking for advice on how l could solidify my position as a potential headgirl. The staff like me, I interact well with the students and I play a lot of sports and I’m in line to be the captain for these sports as well as house captain. I believe l look good on paper however my main issue is public speaking as other candidates are great public speakers. So any advice on how to make myself stand out more.

Honestly the main thing I have learnt about public speaking from experience is that you need to believe in yourself and really fake it till you make it.

You need to be prepared to speak in a fluid manner and act confident and that comes with just doing it (practice).

I would say watch a few YouTube videos on how to improve your public speaking and just try to practice in front of someone i.e. your friends / parents / anyone you trust (just talk about something that interests you) or even talk in front of a mirror or video yourself. Afterwards, always reflect on what you could have done better e.g. your confidence, body language, talking clearly, understanding your audience (not making things too complicated) etc.

Even if it goes bad, they are people too and it wont matter in the grand scheme of things and remember you got this.

Hope this helped.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chris lamber
Honestly the main thing I have learnt about public speaking from experience is that you need to believe in yourself and really fake it till

you make it.

You need to be prepared to speak in a fluid manner and act confident and that comes with just doing it (practice).

I would say watch a few YouTube videos on how to improve your public speaking and just try to practice in front of someone i.e. your friends / parents / anyone you trust (just talk about something that interests you) or even talk in front of a mirror or video yourself. Afterwards, always reflect on what you could have done better e.g. your confidence, body language, talking clearly, understanding your audience (not making things too complicated) etc.

Even if it goes bad, they are people too and it wont matter in the grand scheme of things and remember you got this.

Hope this helped

Thank you that was very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest