The Student Room Group

Studying abroad as a British student

Hi,

Has anyone studied abroad as a British student?

About a month ago I started thinking about studying abroad and I really want to do it but I'm "not sure" on it. My degree is a health care related degree and my current option for country of choice is New Zealand.

I live on my own in the UK, no immediate family near by (Was in the care system, somehow managed to get out of it okay) I don't really have anyone to talk about it and, in all honesty, I don't know where to start.

I am really good at handling my finances so I feel that I will be able to budget well. But I'm struggling on the research side, I've seen a few universities that offer my degree but it's mainly like student loans and that I don't know where to go etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

About a month ago I started thinking about studying abroad and I really want to do it but I'm "not sure" on it. My degree is a health care related degree and my current option for country of choice is New Zealand.

I live on my own in the UK, no immediate family near by (Was in the care system, somehow managed to get out of it okay) I don't really have anyone to talk about it and, in all honesty, I don't know where to start.

I am really good at handling my finances so I feel that I will be able to budget well. But I'm struggling on the research side, I've seen a few universities that offer my degree but it's mainly like student loans and that I don't know where to go etc.

Hi I’m currently studying Medicine in Bulgaria, Eastern Europe and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Hi,

I'm not a British student, but I grew up in New Zealand and currently enrolled in a university here for the first semester while I wait on my UK offers.

Sadly, as far as I can find, there is not a lot of financial aids available for international students studying here. The main trusted source we use to apply and get our student loans from is the studylink.govt.nz website, funded by the government. See if you fit the eligibility: www.studylink.govt.nz/starting-study/whats-available/coming-to-nz-to-study

Universities mostly follow the StudyLink criteria:
- University of Auckland: www.auckland.ac.nz/en/study/fees-and-money-matters/student-loans-and-allowances/eligibility-for-student-loans-and-allowances)
- University of Otago: www.otago.ac.nz/first-year-students/finances/otago669276
- University of Wellington: www.wgtn.ac.nz/students/money/loans-allowances

Of course, there are other universities, but truthfully for studying a health care degree, those three are the best options, but feel free to have a look at Auckland University of Technology, University of Canterbury, University of Waikato, Lincoln University, Massey University, or other Polytechnics.

Some universities here also offers scholarships for international students (although, most would be closed by now since the 1st semester of the year is starting soon and I am not sure when they would re-open for 2024 entries...)

If there are any questions, just ask away :>>

Quick Reply

Latest