The Student Room Group

A-level revision help

Hi everyone, I am trying to do my revision for my end of year exams in year 12 ahead but usually my method is flashcards like on Quizlet and it works great for gcse etc however due to the huge workload at my school I never have much time to do it and I’m starting to get worried as for my end of year exams I won’t have much flashcards to use then. What’s the best methods as I quite like to use blurting and writing and repetition from speaking however I then usually do this from my flashcards. I’m aiming for A*s so any advice on revision methods will be great as I’m trying to do whatever I can in my leftover free time however it’s really hard as I do history, politics and sociology and I’ve only got proper set of flashcards for history South Africa and sociology families and household. My grades are good from exams etc but that’s only as I revise that specific content and that’s it so I’m generally worried for the whole examination in year 12 end of year.
Reply 1
I can only speak for sociology but it’s only December so you could probably get away with not revising right now and finishing up revision material, I finished all my flashcards in April and my exams were at the start of June but it made revision in the month leading up a lot easier since I had all my material to hand. I don’t know what board you do but if you’re really pressed for time you can use pre-made sets on Quizlet. I also recommend essay plans; try making a plan for every theory (e.g. Marxist view on families and households) and major theme (e.g. the idea families are patriarchal; through division of labour, decision making, domestic violence) - this way you’re able to lay out the key sociologists and ideas with their relevant evaluations, and then I try to memorise these plans. usually the plans can be twisted for multiple questions or combined with other plans, so if I did a plan on feminist theory I could probably twist that to fit any question relating to gender, or if there’s a question asking if families are beneficial, I could use a point from every plan that argues some sort of benefit. hope this helps in some way!
Original post by Hailey629
Hi everyone, I am trying to do my revision for my end of year exams in year 12 ahead but usually my method is flashcards like on Quizlet and it works great for gcse etc however due to the huge workload at my school I never have much time to do it and I’m starting to get worried as for my end of year exams I won’t have much flashcards to use then. What’s the best methods as I quite like to use blurting and writing and repetition from speaking however I then usually do this from my flashcards. I’m aiming for A*s so any advice on revision methods will be great as I’m trying to do whatever I can in my leftover free time however it’s really hard as I do history, politics and sociology and I’ve only got proper set of flashcards for history South Africa and sociology families and household. My grades are good from exams etc but that’s only as I revise that specific content and that’s it so I’m generally worried for the whole examination in year 12 end of year.

Heya!
I would create a revision timetable and dedicate enough time to revision first (to ensure you catch up with the material). Flashcards are helpful but I would also recommend focusing on doing practice questions by topic as well :h: Do practice questions for the topics you have covered so far without looking at the mark scheme and then mark yourself and see why you have lost the marks and what needs improving.
For history creating visual timelines might be helpful. Generally, for essay questions, I would recommend learning how to effectively plan them out before even attempting them 0 I did it for economics and it really helped.
I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest