The Student Room Group

What is Law like?

I’m thinking of studying law at university. I’m unsure whether I should. It does seem to suit my strengths, as I’m inclined to writing essays that include an analytical debate.

It’s just that law is a subject that I’ve never studied before. Do I need to know anything before I start, or can I just go in fresh and have little knowledge on the subject?

Im also concerned about the amount of free time I’d get as a uni student who studies law. I’m currently in a job, and if I was to leave for uni I’d probably be working 20 hours a week on top of my studies. Is this doable?
Original post by Loue9712
I’m thinking of studying law at university. I’m unsure whether I should. It does seem to suit my strengths, as I’m inclined to writing essays that include an analytical debate.

It’s just that law is a subject that I’ve never studied before. Do I need to know anything before I start, or can I just go in fresh and have little knowledge on the subject?

Im also concerned about the amount of free time I’d get as a uni student who studies law. I’m currently in a job, and if I was to leave for uni I’d probably be working 20 hours a week on top of my studies. Is this doable?

Hi, I'm currently a law student at QMUL and I can confirm that essay writing and an inclination to analytical debate does help! Studying law as an undergrad is also treated as a fresh start, so no, you do not need to have any prior knowledge of the law at all! At QMUL they really do a good job of starting right at the beginning and carrying everyone along.
I will admit, studying law is very time consuming- however, I know several people who work jobs alongside doing it, so its very doable!
Please do let me know if I can be of any further help.
Law is an academically heavy subject. It differs by Uni & modules but you do around 12-14 hrs face/face teaching per week then the rest is self (or group) study. Most students say they do around 30 hours upwards of this per week. So you’re looking at around 42 hours average plus per week.

Some students do work, many end up working for the Uni in for example the Student’s Union, or repping for them as it’s very flexible & easier to work around studies. But I suppose it depends on how your 20 hours are split & whether you want to have much of a social life on top of that etc.
Hey i am currently a first year student at the uni of nottingham, and if i were to describe law in one word it would be reading. you have to read so much whether that be cases or textbooks and although that sounds dull the things you read is really quite interesting. for example i am currently reading a case where the court has decide whether it should force feed an anorexic patient that doesnt want the treatment but will die if she doesnt get it or whether it is fine to kill one person to save the other person's life.
it is a lot of work but i really do enjoy iy, I am currently taking a break from working and stumbled here but if you have any questions please do ask.
Original post by Loue9712

Hello @Loue9712,

I hope you are doing well. I'm Saba, I am currently a second year law student at Coventry University. Firstly I want to assure you that there is nothing to worry about if you do not studied the subject for you. Our first year was designed very meticulously to introduce us to the world of law so personally I managed to get a deep understanding and have a good foundation before entering year 2! First year of law was all experimenting for me. The lectures allowed me to experiment what studying methods were good for me or stuff like my writing style!

On the other hand, It is really good to see that you already know your strengths and it will be really useful on your course works and exams as it requires to do a lot of critical analysis!

Moreover, even though law requires a lot of reading and research, with good time management having a part-time job is totally doable! I have a lot of course mates who work at the same time and do really well academically! I myself work as a Student Ambassador and do volunteering in my free time and I still get to work on my uni work without any pressure. As long as you enjoy what you are doing, the key is just time-management skills.

I hope that you will choose what its best for you and wish you a smooth application process. Feel free to reach out for enquiries!

Best Wishes,
Saba
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending