Why the hell did I do this? Why?! Should I be angry? Watch

HappinessHappening
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, so last night I was spectacularly drunk. I was having a good time at a club with friends when suddenly I found a wallet on the floor. I picked it up and I thought to myself: "it's got to be a student's wallet from the university. I'm too drunk to do anything about it now so I'll sort it out tommorow at the uni. I can't even read the cards in it! If I wait until tommorow, I'll be able to ensure that it gets back to the right person."
So I put it in my pocket. Anyway, later on I sat down and tried to look at the cards again. I was looking through the wallet when suddenly a bouncer came up to me, grabbed me, pulled me forcefully to my feet and then took the wallet and my wallet off of me. I don't understand why I did this next bit. They asked my name and I said my name; they gave me my wallet. Then they asked why I had a wallet with a different name in and I said: "It's my brothers. I'm looking after it for him."
But then I couldn't remember the name - I don't think I knew it in the first place! And when they asked me and I didn't answer correctly, they threw me out.

Why did I respond like that? Like I said, I genuinely wanted to get it back to the person - make no mistake about that! Maybe I thought the bouncers would keep it to themselves . . . I don't know.

Should I feel bad?
Were they wrong to chuck me out like that?

Bugzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe....just maybe...JUST PERHAPS....you were drunk?
jjpp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you shouldn't feel bad. you were drunk and therefore not quite aware of your actions. whilst i wouldn't say that being drunk was an excuse if you had got in a fight or really hurt someone, in this case it was just a misunderstanding generated.
username153949
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think they were right to throw you out, because from what you said (they don't know what you are thinking) its possible that you were trying to steal the wallet

I don't think you should feel bad though... you were drunk! - now that shouldn't be used as an excuse but you were, and we do stupid things when we are in that state so...
Jason Sparks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It seems as though you panicked, clearly, and gave an answer as many of us do, contrary to our belief, intentions.

Perhaps you felt as though the truthful response (that you intended to find the owner) simply would not seem plausible - perhaps because honesty and decency is something to be suspicious of - and thus you gave an answer to actually avoid making known your good intentions.

You should most certainly not feel bad - you did nothing wrong; and as regards your second question, then of course we must accept that bouncers are laws unto themselves! It's no use questioning whether what they do is right or wrong; we put ourselves at their mercy the moment we go past them!
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjpp)
you shouldn't feel bad. you were drunk and therefore not quite aware of your actions. whilst i wouldn't say that being drunk was an excuse if you had got in a fight or really hurt someone, in this case it was just a misunderstanding generated.
Maybe if you hadn't been drunk then this wouldnt have happened....but we all know that! This is a lesson that you better learn from...
HappinessHappening
Rep:
?
I hope I didn't do wrong . . .

What makes me feel especially bad is that they probably thought I was trying to steal it - and that's horrible. I don't want to be seen as a thief and criminal.

It sort of ruined my evening.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
Maybe if you hadn't been drunk then this wouldnt have happened....but we all know that! This is a lesson that you better learn from...
The way you say that sounds like you're trying to scare the poor bloke off ever touching a drop of alcohol again.

Its not the worst thing that could have happened, no-one got hurt and its something that most likely wont happen again. Doesnt mean the OP is evil, and at least he didnt actually STEAL the wallet and had intentions of giving it back.

Edit: Never mind, one look at your profile explains your attitude. You are entitled to your beliefs about drink but dont try to enforce them on others yeah?
HappinessHappening
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bugzy)
Maybe....just maybe...JUST PERHAPS....you were drunk?
Oh God yes. I said that in my first post. :yep:
Jason Sparks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HappinessHappening)
I hope I didn't do wrong . . .

What makes me feel especially bad is that they probably thought I was trying to steal it - and that's horrible. I don't want to be seen as a thief and criminal.
It sort of ruined my evening.
It's nothing at fault with you that those bouncers might have seen you as a thief; it would be purely the scum they're used to seeing, dealing with, which will have tainted their perception of drunk, young men.

I honestly shouldn't worry about it and would reserve your concern for those opinions belonging to those whom you care or think something for i.e., friends and family.
HappinessHappening
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jason Sparks)
It's nothing at fault with you that those bouncers might have seen you as a thief; it would be purely the scum they're used to seeing, dealing with, which will have tainted their perception of drunk, young men.

I honestly shouldn't worry about it and would reserve your concern for those opinions belonging to those whom you care or think something for i.e., friends and family.
I suppose you're right. Thanks alot.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would have just handed it in behind the bar and got a receipt, or told all my friends that I was holding on to it til tommorow so they could back me up to the establishment. They were right to take it off you and kick you out though, from their perspective you had someone elses wallet with no explanation.
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
The way you say that sounds like you're trying to scare the poor bloke off ever touching a drop of alcohol again.

Its not the worst thing that could have happened, no-one got hurt and its something that most likely wont happen again. Doesnt mean the OP is evil, and at least he didnt actually STEAL the wallet and had intentions of giving it back.

Edit: Never mind, one look at your profile explains your attitude. You are entitled to your beliefs about drink but dont try to enforce them on others yeah?
No actually i dont mind people drinking...i mean i have friends who do and it doesnt bother me...what i meant was that he should learn him limit, i didnt mean for him to stop drinking all together. I can understand that leisure time for some people might be going to the pub or to a bar; just dont go over the top.
Nebthet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everyone does it sometimes. Maybe throwing you out was a bit hefty... Then again they thought you were a rampaging thief, so maybe they were justified.

But, either way, no harm done, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.55%
No (476)
72.45%

Watched Threads