The Student Room Group

Regretting not taking Further Maths..

I'm in year 12 now and really wishing I took further maths because I'm hoping to go to LSE for Economics. What do I do?
Original post by pr3s3nt
I'm in year 12 now and really wishing I took further maths because I'm hoping to go to LSE for Economics. What do I do?

Read this and go somewhere else: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/how-the-london-school-of-economics-is-failing-its-students-b24aed5718b5
Reply 2

Then where would you recommend to study economics?
Reply 3
Original post by pr3s3nt

Ucl or warwick. Maybe Oxford but economics and management at Oxford is their most competitive degree i believe. It’s more theoretical than economics at Cambridge though, hence why I’ve heard that further maths is basically required at Cambridge but not at Oxford
Original post by pr3s3nt

What other universities are you considering? Warwick? Exeter?
Original post by pr3s3nt

Have you asked your school yet? Either Self study further maths alongside ur current subjects and sit the exams, or transfer to another sixth form that will let you take further maths.
Reply 6
Original post by pr3s3nt

Believe me mate, not taking further maths is my biggest regret.

I'm in yr 13 now and applying to physics at unis, when picking my A lrvels i had not idea how much emphasis FM puts on your application.

i only realised when its too late, i could have slef studied it but i thought achiveing A*AA (w/o FM) sounds better than AAAB (w/ FM)

try and self study it when its not too late, dont make the same mistake i did and remain blind to the cutthroat nature of university admissions.
(edited 1 year ago)

this is a pretty weak article. LSE's current student satisfaction ranking is 56 (above Exeter, Birmingham, Manchester etc.) and the rest of the points frankly could apply to most unis.
Original post by vapordave
this is a pretty weak article. LSE's current student satisfaction ranking is 56 (above Exeter, Birmingham, Manchester etc.) and the rest of the points frankly could apply to most unis.

The person who wrote it clearly disagrees with you ... it is pretty toxic like Imperial.
Self study it if you have the motivation as it is not too late. In summer I self taught myself pure and stats (2/3 of the course) Further Maths year 1 but starting with 4 in September I just crashed as I had overloaded myself with maths trying to teach Year 1 and learn Year 2 of Maths and Further Maths. But seeing as its only December you will probably have enough spare time to do it. But I wouldn't recommend it if LSE is the only reason you are doing it as you are applying for one of the most competitive courses in the UK (5% offer rate I believe) and if you go through all of that effort which may negatively affect your focus on your other subjects just to not get an offer, then it wouldn't have been worth it at all.
Original post by pr3s3nt

Heya!
Have you talked to your teacher about possibly starting FM now or switching one of your subjects to FM? Try that first and see what they say/advise :h:There are unis that don't require FM as a must for economics so research which unis offer that and potentially look into applying there, for example, UCL:h: You could also look into doing FM during a gap year if you really want to go to LSE but there are other unis that offer economics course and don't need FM. In the end, it's up to you what you choose but you have options!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest