The Student Room Group

GCSE PE

Has anyone taken gcse pe? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Original post by s-s-p
Has anyone taken gcse pe? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm doing it this year, do you need help with anything specific?
Reply 2
Original post by STiron9
I'm doing it this year, do you need help with anything specific?

Well I'm choosing my options next month. How are you finding it? Which exam board are you using? My other subjects are "heavy" and I am a bright child so can afford to take a slightly easier subject. Would pe be good for that? Do let me know about how the practical element works. I'll be doing the OCR exam board if I take it for gcse. Thanks
Original post by s-s-p
Well I'm choosing my options next month. How are you finding it? Which exam board are you using? My other subjects are "heavy" and I am a bright child so can afford to take a slightly easier subject. Would pe be good for that? Do let me know about how the practical element works. I'll be doing the OCR exam board if I take it for gcse. Thanks

I'm doing OCR too. I wouldn't consider it an easy option as it is mainly theory (60%) plus an extended piece of coursework (10%) which I have found quite tricky. It is only 30% practical with 3 sports one team, one individual and a third of your choice each being worth 10% and marked out of 20, meaning you probably won't have more than 1 practical lesson (aside form core pe) a week - that's how my school have done it anyways. There are quite a few links between some of the theory and gcse biology which does make it a bit easier to learn and understand. I would do it if you enjoy sports and would find it engaging, otherwise you might lose interest quickly and you are only likely to get really high marks on the practical if you play at at least county level for your chosen sports. I love sports so am enjoying it as an extra subject but yeah its up to you whether you would find it interesting and worthwhile of your time, sorry for the long rant, hope it helps you at least a bit though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by STiron9
I'm doing OCR too. I wouldn't consider it an easy option as it is mainly theory (60%) plus an extended piece of coursework (10%) which I have found quite tricky. It is only 30% practical with 3 sports one team, one individual and a third of your choice each being worth 10% and marked out of 20, meaning you probably won't have more than 1 practical lesson (aside form core pe) a week - that's how my school have done it anyways. There are quite a few links between some of the theory and gcse biology which does make it a bit easier to learn and understand. I would do it if you enjoy sports and would find it engaging, otherwise you might lose interest quickly and you are only likely to get really high marks on the practical if you play at at least county level for your chosen sports. I love sports so am enjoying it as an extra subject but yeah its up to you whether you would find it interesting and worthwhile of your time, sorry for the long rant, hope it helps you at least a bit though.

Thank you very much for your help. My teachers told me about the 10% coursework. What's it about? I think I'm leaning towards choosing gcse pe because I like biology and sports and don't mind a bit of theory having looked at the curriculum past papers. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest