The Student Room Group

physics question

Hi, please can i have help on part f of the question attached below. I have also attached the answers. I do not understand for part f how they got: So maximum weight of cable = 83,500N.
Thanks!
Reply 1
i have attached the whole question but its only the last part.
Original post by Ashirs
Hi, please can i have help on part f of the question attached below. I have also attached the answers. I do not understand for part f how they got: So maximum weight of cable = 83,500N.
Thanks!

Original post by Ashirs
i have attached the whole question but its only the last part.

Hi, it would be better that you uploaded better-quality pictures. The resolution is far too low and I cannot make sense of the question.
Do you mind keeping the attached question and posting as single post in future? It would better for other to know the thread has not been answered.
If you have your description and attachment in separate posts, many may misunderstand that you have found your own answer/solution as this is a common practice for users who find their own solution to your question would post in a separate post to describe their solution in the same thread.
Thanks.
Reply 3
hi,
i am unable to unfortunately post both on the same post because on my computer, there is only one option at the top of the screen with the icon "ask a question" and i cannot add any attachments on that. I have however, attached the link to the paper- just question 13 part f.
Thanks!

https://www.bpho.org.uk/user/pages/06.past-papers/05.physics-challenge-gcse/_general/Physics_Challenge_Question_Paper_%202016.pdf
Original post by Ashirs
hi,
i am unable to unfortunately post both on the same post because on my computer, there is only one option at the top of the screen with the icon "ask a question" and i cannot add any attachments on that. I have however, attached the link to the paper- just question 13 part f.
Thanks!

https://www.bpho.org.uk/user/pages/06.past-papers/05.physics-challenge-gcse/_general/Physics_Challenge_Question_Paper_%202016.pdf

Thanks for this :smile: if you go to edit on your opening post can you add an attachment there? it's not an issue to add it now, just checking if there is a bug I need to report as you should be able to attach files there
Original post by Eimmanuel
Hi, it would be better that you uploaded better-quality pictures. The resolution is far too low and I cannot make sense of the question.
Do you mind keeping the attached question and posting as single post in future? It would better for other to know the thread has not been answered.
If you have your description and attachment in separate posts, many may misunderstand that you have found your own answer/solution as this is a common practice for users who find their own solution to your question would post in a separate post to describe their solution in the same thread.
Thanks.

e) should give 42,500 N
f) the max stress is 100 MPa, so the max weight supported will be that multiplied by the cross sectional area, which gives the max weight of the cable by subtracting e) and hence the length.
Original post by mqb2766
e) should give 42,500 N
f) the max stress is 100 MPa, so the max weight supported will be that multiplied by the cross sectional area, which gives the max weight of the cable by subtracting e) and hence the length.

Please quote the actual post that has the questions or poster who need help in the question.
Original post by Ashirs
hi,
Thanks!

Hi, it seems that someone (mqb2766) has already solved the question for you.
But the user "refused" to quote you in reply, so I would quote you and the user mqb2766 just in case.
Note the user can make mistakes sometimes, so it would be good that check it. I have not attempted it, so I am unsure of the correctness. :smile:
Original post by mqb2766
e) should give 42,500 N

Quick Reply

Latest