The Student Room Group

dna replication process; is it dna ligase or dna polymerase?

for the process of dna replication, does dna polymerase join the new nucleotides or is it dna ligase? a lot of mark schemes dont really go with dna ligase but instead say dna polymerase but im not sure:/
Original post by kimpo078
for the process of dna replication, does dna polymerase join the new nucleotides or is it dna ligase? a lot of mark schemes dont really go with dna ligase but instead say dna polymerase but im not sure:/

DNA polymerase is what forms the phosphodiester bonds and the backbone of the DNA structure.
ligase is the enzyme used in the Polymerase Chain Reaction to allow complementary base pairing of the cut out gene and plasmid.
Although on the internet it says that DNA ligase is the same function of DNA polymerase-- be careful. The AQA A Level biology specification only mentions DNA polymerase for DNA replication and only mentions ligase enzyme for genetic engineering (yr 13 stuff). You arent wrong by saying DNA ligase forms the same function however, it is preferred to use the terminology of DNA polymerase.

You need to know your specification and get to grips of key terminology to excel in a level biology.
I did biology on two exam boards as my sixth form changed exam board halfway through the course. For both AQA and Edexcel I was taught that DNA polymerase matches the bases and forms the phosphodiester bond in the backbone, and DNA ligase seals the nicks between Okazaki fragments on the lagging strand.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by NLE.SHA7MA
DNA polymerase is what forms the phosphodiester bonds and the backbone of the DNA structure.
ligase is the enzyme used in the Polymerase Chain Reaction to allow complementary base pairing of the cut out gene and plasmid.
Although on the internet it says that DNA ligase is the same function of DNA polymerase-- be careful. The AQA A Level biology specification only mentions DNA polymerase for DNA replication and only mentions ligase enzyme for genetic engineering (yr 13 stuff). You arent wrong by saying DNA ligase forms the same function however, it is preferred to use the terminology of DNA polymerase.

You need to know your specification and get to grips of key terminology to excel in a level biology.

alright thank you! Yes okay i do Edexcel so I'll check what the spec mentions- but ty again
If you're joining polynucleotide strands it is ligase. The addition of a single dNTP is catalysed by Polymerases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending