The Student Room Group

Really concerned about an EPQ overlap!

Hi!

I am currently in Year 12 and my EPQ title is "Is animal testing still needed in the modern day cancer research of T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic leukaemia?", I'm concerned there may be an overlap with my Biology A-level due to these spec points:
the production of erythrocytes and neutrophils derived from stem cells in bone marrow

the structure, different roles and modes of action of B and T lymphocytes in the specific immune response

I'm concerned as whilst my focus is on the necessity for animal testing I wanted to include a section detailing what T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is and how it occurs - but this is where I'm worried there's an overlap! I'm also concerned that as I wanted to mention how stem cell treatment may reduce the need for animal testing that may overlap too due to this the potential uses of stem cells in research and medicine.

I'd asked my EPQ supervisor and my Biology teacher about my EPQ and I was told it would be fine but it seems like it might not, is there any way I can get around it or will I need to do a U-turn in what I want my EPQ to be on? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by AliciaM790
Hi!

I am currently in Year 12 and my EPQ title is "Is animal testing still needed in the modern day cancer research of T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic leukaemia?", I'm concerned there may be an overlap with my Biology A-level due to these spec points:
the production of erythrocytes and neutrophils derived from stem cells in bone marrow

the structure, different roles and modes of action of B and T lymphocytes in the specific immune response

I'm concerned as whilst my focus is on the necessity for animal testing I wanted to include a section detailing what T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is and how it occurs - but this is where I'm worried there's an overlap! I'm also concerned that as I wanted to mention how stem cell treatment may reduce the need for animal testing that may overlap too due to this the potential uses of stem cells in research and medicine.

I'd asked my EPQ supervisor and my Biology teacher about my EPQ and I was told it would be fine but it seems like it might not, is there any way I can get around it or will I need to do a U-turn in what I want my EPQ to be on? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

If your EPQ supervisor and Biology teacher both think that it's fine, and there is not enough overlap for it to be an issue, then you're fine. Remember that the EPQ is marked internally, so if staff internally are happy then that's all that matters.

Which exam board overseas your EPQ? Here's the wording AQA use with regards to overlaps (with emphasis added):

Overlaps with other Qualifications
The specification has been designed to allow maximum flexibility for centre and students.
The subject content allows the opportunity for students to pursue integrated critical, practical or theoretical study within the context of an Extended Project.The EPQ is designed to extend and develop beyond a student's programme of study. If a student attempts to submit a piece of coursework for another qualification as an EPQ, relies heavily on text books or chooses a topic central to one of their other courses of study, they will not be extending or developing beyond what they have already learned or will learn before the end of the course. We would recommend that students use their studies as a springboard from which to launch their EPQ into an area of particular interest to the student. If an EPQ is deemed to be too similar in nature or content to a topic covered in one of their other courses of study this may be treated as malpractice.

You are not planning to use a piece of Biology coursework (I assume), not will you be relying heavily on your Biology text books. That leaves "chooses a topic central to one of their other courses of study". Is your EPQ topic "central" to your Biology course?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If your EPQ supervisor and Biology teacher both think that it's fine, and there is not enough overlap for it to be an issue, then you're fine. Remember that the EPQ is marked internally, so if staff internally are happy then that's all that matters.

Which exam board overseas your EPQ? Here's the wording AQA use with regards to overlaps (with emphasis added):

You are not planning to use a piece of Biology coursework (I assume), not will you be relying heavily on your Biology text books. That leaves "chooses a topic central to one of their other courses of study". Is your EPQ topic "central" to your Biology course?

AQA is my exam board for EPQ! Thank you so much for your reply it's really informative which is greatly appreciated, I hadn't seen the wording and that definitely helps! I wouldn't say it is as whilst I hope to include information on topics involved in my course (stem cells for example) I hope to go into greater detail than what is in my course to support my central idea which is animal testing. Thank you so much for your response I feel much better now and feel confident carrying on with my research!! :smile:
Original post by AliciaM790
AQA is my exam board for EPQ! Thank you so much for your reply it's really informative which is greatly appreciated, I hadn't seen the wording and that definitely helps! I wouldn't say it is as whilst I hope to include information on topics involved in my course (stem cells for example) I hope to go into greater detail than what is in my course to support my central idea which is animal testing. Thank you so much for your response I feel much better now and feel confident carrying on with my research!! :smile:

You're welcome. FYI, the full AQA EPQ specification (from which I took the extract above) is here.
Great response which has clarified my own understanding of the EPQ, thank you!
Original post by DataVenia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending