The Student Room Group

Quitting A-Level Chemistry

I'm a Y12 student doing Chemistry, Biology, Math and Further Maths. In the future I'm planning on doing Biology and Maths through Natural Sciences or as a joint degree. I know unis do like to have Chemistry for Biology degrees, but I'm really not enjoying it and definitely don't wanna go into Chemistry, so I'm considering swapping it with A-Level Spanish. The deadline to change subjects is the beginning of the spring terms, so I was wondering whether it'd be stupid to quit Chemistry?
Original post by tastierspoon460
I'm a Y12 student doing Chemistry, Biology, Math and Further Maths. In the future I'm planning on doing Biology and Maths through Natural Sciences or as a joint degree. I know unis do like to have Chemistry for Biology degrees, but I'm really not enjoying it and definitely don't wanna go into Chemistry, so I'm considering swapping it with A-Level Spanish. The deadline to change subjects is the beginning of the spring terms, so I was wondering whether it'd be stupid to quit Chemistry?

I'd have a close look at the entry requirements for a Natural Science degree - your choices at the moment are perfect.
Spanish is a subject that you can do as an additional A level in your own time, you cannot do this with Chemistry due to the practicals.

I suggest that you have a chat with your Chemistry teacher and say that you are not really enjoying it, it might be the topic.

My advice is to stick with it and learn to love it - after all without it what would life be?

It depends on the specific degree.

If you're confident that you want to go do bioinformatics at uni, Chemistry shouldn't be necessary.

On the other hand, consider Biological Mathematics degree at Exeter in case you want to diverse away from Natural sciences. It's rare to come across a Biology and Maths joint degree at undergrad level.
Original post by hoyc1
I'd have a close look at the entry requirements for a Natural Science degree - your choices at the moment are perfect.
Spanish is a subject that you can do as an additional A level in your own time, you cannot do this with Chemistry due to the practicals.

I suggest that you have a chat with your Chemistry teacher and say that you are not really enjoying it, it might be the topic.

My advice is to stick with it and learn to love it - after all without it what would life be?

Literally this.

I would advise that if you are looking at doing biology at uni, you don’t drop chemistry, as it is vital to the understanding of how many biological processes work and may give you a competitive advantage on your application.

Because I have no idea where you want to apply, let’s take Cambridge’s Natural Sciences course as an example to see what is recommended:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

Under ‘Entry Requirements’:

96% of successful applicants to do the biological route at Cambridge took chemistry! That is how much better your chances could potentially be with it.

Under ‘Course Outline’:

‘The biology of cells’ module in the first year lists chemistry as ‘highly desirable’ and biology as ‘useful preparation’. That is rather telling, as it implies A level chemistry is actually more helpful than A level biology with this module.

Hi!

I've just finished studying Natural Sciences at Lancaster University and I loved the flexibility it offered me to study multiple subjects.

With Natural Sciences at Lancaster, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21 pathways. With Biology, Maths, Further Maths, and Spanish, you could choose from 3 of the 4 biology pathways (excluding Biochemistry) and either of the 2 maths pathways. You would therefore not need a Chemistry A level to pursue Biology and Maths as part of Natural Sciences. You can find the course brochure from this link if you wanted to have a look through the options - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/study-pathways/ .

It might be required for other courses so it's worth checking the entry requirements of all the universities that you're thinking of applying to. I have found that studying the subjects that I enjoy has made my course more interesting and also makes the work far easier to complete.

That's a basic summary of the course (based on my experience), but if you have any other questions, let me know!

-Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

I’m looking at doing natsci as well (also in year 12) at Cambridge and know that they particularly favour applicants with 2 sciences (chem and bio). Some colleges‘ entry requirements are that u take 2 sciences. Additionally to study biological modules like cell biology, chemistry is ’highly desirable’ and biology is just listed as ‘useful’. By the same token, if you aren’t enjoying it and don’t think you’re going to do decently in it- then perhaps reconsider your options, but make sure you do your research into how this limits ur degree and module choices.

Heya!
I would recommend making sure that the unis you wish to apply to don't need chemistry for natural sciences. Read around the application (e.g. Cambridge prefers if you have chem and bio when you apply for Natural Science). If you drop chem and they require it then unfortunately you won't be able to get an offer :frown: So it's best just to double-check first. If you are sure they don't then have a talk with your teacher first and explain your situation!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest