The Student Room Group

Geology Applications 2023

Anyone had any experience at Durham studying geology? How many undergrads in the first year? What is the lifestyle and nightlife like in Durham?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by johnibeast73
Anyone had any experience at Durham studying geology? How many undergrads in the first year? What is the lifestyle and nightlife like in Durham?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!
I couldn't find anything on the geology course when I was applying last year so hopefully this is helpful!
I'm currently studying Geology at Durham and have just finished my first term there, so far I've been enjoying the course, all the lecturers are very good. There's loads of people doing an Earth science subject but actually doing Geology is quite small, I know of about 10 including me but there's probably more so modules which are more specific to Geology have a much smaller class size to other modules.
Nightlife in Durham is pretty good, it depends on what you want, the most popular nightclub called Jimmy's closes about 2am, the same with many of the other nightclubs nearby, however Newcastle is a really short train journey away so you could get that if you wanted more clubs. So far I've had no problem with all the clubs and late night takeaway pizza does the job after. Most of the nightclubs are in the centre of the town so if you're in a college on the bailey like me then going out is easy.
The lifestyle is also whatever you choose as long as you make sure to go to the lectures, for Geology you have one 3 hour lecture per module a week and you have 6 modules, with the time in between you can do whatever you want, so far there hasn't been much coursework or exams to revise for so meeting up with friends is mainly what I'm doing.
If you have any questions about the course, the colleges (I'm at castle college) or about Durham let me know.
Original post by Goldeneye0193
Hi!
I couldn't find anything on the geology course when I was applying last year so hopefully this is helpful!
I'm currently studying Geology at Durham and have just finished my first term there, so far I've been enjoying the course, all the lecturers are very good. There's loads of people doing an Earth science subject but actually doing Geology is quite small, I know of about 10 including me but there's probably more so modules which are more specific to Geology have a much smaller class size to other modules.
Nightlife in Durham is pretty good, it depends on what you want, the most popular nightclub called Jimmy's closes about 2am, the same with many of the other nightclubs nearby, however Newcastle is a really short train journey away so you could get that if you wanted more clubs. So far I've had no problem with all the clubs and late night takeaway pizza does the job after. Most of the nightclubs are in the centre of the town so if you're in a college on the bailey like me then going out is easy.
The lifestyle is also whatever you choose as long as you make sure to go to the lectures, for Geology you have one 3 hour lecture per module a week and you have 6 modules, with the time in between you can do whatever you want, so far there hasn't been much coursework or exams to revise for so meeting up with friends is mainly what I'm doing.
If you have any questions about the course, the colleges (I'm at castle college) or about Durham let me know.

Hi, sounds like a great uni. I am gonna head up for an offer day on the 15th of feb so will have a good look around.one question what field trips are there?
Thanks for all the advice
Original post by johnibeast73
Hi, sounds like a great uni. I am gonna head up for an offer day on the 15th of feb so will have a good look around.one question what field trips are there?
Thanks for all the advice

Hi, during freshers week you should have a one day field trip to Teesdale to see the waterfalls, in the 2nd term we have a field trip every other week so they're very frequent, these are to Frosterley, Bowlees, Westgate and Wildboar. Also at the end of the 2nd term there's a 5 day field trip to Craster. In the other years you do a few one week field trips to Assynt, Almeria and Almeria. Luckily the uni give you most of the stuff you need for the field trips like a hard hat, high vis, compass clinometer and a waterproof book.
The Durham website goes into a little more detail about the field trips: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/f600/
Hope this is helpful and the open day goes well!
Original post by Goldeneye0193
Hi, during freshers week you should have a one day field trip to Teesdale to see the waterfalls, in the 2nd term we have a field trip every other week so they're very frequent, these are to Frosterley, Bowlees, Westgate and Wildboar. Also at the end of the 2nd term there's a 5 day field trip to Craster. In the other years you do a few one week field trips to Assynt, Almeria and Almeria. Luckily the uni give you most of the stuff you need for the field trips like a hard hat, high vis, compass clinometer and a waterproof book.
The Durham website goes into a little more detail about the field trips: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/f600/
Hope this is helpful and the open day goes well!

Thanks for all the help
Reply 5
Are there any international students studying earth sciences at Durham? I'm an international student and got an offer from Durham for earth sciences for 2023, but I don't know if I'll like Durham as an international

Quick Reply

Latest