The Student Room Group

History revision

In history and in any subject in general what are well regarded revision techniques to learn,understand and memorise the overwhelming amount of content along with when should I go through past papers if you can’t recall a lot of the content on the spot,also can I specifically for history focus on exam questions and researching/investigating the answers if I haven’t revised all the content?
Okay, so I find online flashcards really good especially since I can just use them on the go, if you look at flashcards on this website I'm sure you'll find some that help.
Don't worry about memorising specific dates unless it's really important just make sure you know what order the events go in.
Brief timelines and cheat sheets are really good ways to revise and I find that they help the information stick loads.
And if you are having revision sessions at home make sure to take frequent breaks because its so much information to process at once.
For history make sure that you know the style of questions look at some full mark answers on the exam board website to give you an idea on how you should write. I would recommend something similar to this for other subjects as well but for science (in particular Chemistry) use practice questions as the wording of some questions can sometimes cause you to lose marks.:biggrin:
Hope that this helped. :smile:
Original post by Caz.E.R.W
Okay, so I find online flashcards really good especially since I can just use them on the go, if you look at flashcards on this website I'm sure you'll find some that help.
Don't worry about memorising specific dates unless it's really important just make sure you know what order the events go in.
Brief timelines and cheat sheets are really good ways to revise and I find that they help the information stick loads.
And if you are having revision sessions at home make sure to take frequent breaks because its so much information to process at once.
For history make sure that you know the style of questions look at some full mark answers on the exam board website to give you an idea on how you should write. I would recommend something similar to this for other subjects as well but for science (in particular Chemistry) use practice questions as the wording of some questions can sometimes cause you to lose marks.:biggrin:
Hope that this helped. :smile:

Is quizlet a free website or do you have to pay for it, and is that what you mean by online flash cards
Original post by Harrison hawe
Is quizlet a free website or do you have to pay for it, and is that what you mean by online flash cards

Yes quizlet is a free website although it does have a plus version but I don't use it. By online flashcards you can find them there, the student room if you search it, cram and study stack. I use a mixture of them all for different subjects, you can find flashcards that would suit you or make your own.
Original post by Harrison hawe
In history and in any subject in general what are well regarded revision techniques to learn,understand and memorise the overwhelming amount of content along with when should I go through past papers if you can’t recall a lot of the content on the spot,also can I specifically for history focus on exam questions and researching/investigating the answers if I haven’t revised all the content?

There are many revision techniques that students use to learn, understand, and memorize a large amount of content. Some common revision techniques include:

Taking notes: Write down key points and try to condense the information as much as possible. This can help you to identify the most important information and understand the material better.

Using mnemonic devices: These are techniques that use association, rhyme, or acronym to help you remember information. For example, you might use the acronym ROY G. BIV to remember the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet).

Creating visual aids: Diagrams, mind maps, and other visual aids can help you to understand and remember complex information.

Quizzing yourself: Asking yourself questions about the material and trying to recall the answers can be a effective way to reinforce your learning.

Practice: Doing practice problems or past papers can help you to apply what you have learned and identify areas where you need to improve.

As for when to go through past papers, it can be helpful to do this after you have revised all of the content. This will give you a sense of how the material is likely to be tested and help you to practice applying your knowledge to real exam questions. However, if you have not revised all of the content, you may still find it helpful to do some past papers as a way of identifying the areas that you need to focus on.

In terms of history specifically, it can be helpful to focus on exam questions and researching the answers if you have not revised all of the content. This can help you to get a sense of the types of questions that are likely to be asked and allow you to practice your research skills. However, it is important to make sure that you also spend time revising the content so that you have a solid foundation of knowledge to build upon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending