The Student Room Group

Can I still get into imperial college London or LSE without doing further maths?

My GCSES are grades 8-9 and I'm a y12 student who chose chemistry maths and physics for a level. I want to go into engineering or finance but I didn't choose further maths and at my college it's too late to try and change. Everyone at my college has told me it's going to be extremely hard to get in without doing further maths but is there still a decent chance of me getting in if I get 3 A* at a level? Please help me because I'm pretty stressed out esp cuz I feel like I ruined my future because I didn't choose further maths. Also is there anything I can do to help raise the chances of me going?
You don't need to do a degree in finance to work in the financial services sector, which covers a pretty wide range of jobs. For things like investment banking and management consulting they don't care what degree you do at all, you could just as well do social policy or economic history at LSE and not have any maths background and it wouldn't affect you for admission to those degrees at all, or in the those jobs - the maths done by investment bankers is very basic.

You only need any real mathematical background for quantitative finance mostly, and that primarily recruits people with backgrounds in maths/CS/physics, not economics/finance/engineering (some of the latter, almost certainly not the former). Also they mostly recruit PhDs, not people with just a bachelors degree. For those kinds of courses (which LSE doesn't offer), a stronger mathematical background like having FM would probably be preferable but you can really do your undergrad wherever and then just do your PhD somewhere high profile.
Reply 2
Original post by Incrediblezed
My GCSES are grades 8-9 and I'm a y12 student who chose chemistry maths and physics for a level. I want to go into engineering or finance but I didn't choose further maths and at my college it's too late to try and change. Everyone at my college has told me it's going to be extremely hard to get in without doing further maths but is there still a decent chance of me getting in if I get 3 A* at a level? Please help me because I'm pretty stressed out esp cuz I feel like I ruined my future because I didn't choose further maths. Also is there anything I can do to help raise the chances of me

Yeah ur screwed. Ur A-levels are just maths and two sciences so you can't do a humanities degree, Engineering at a good university is out of the window because of no FM, for finance u need to ideally go to target unis ( LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, imperial) so LSE is also out of the window, u can rlly only do a some kind of science degree that doesn't require fm at above unis but if you can somehow do that u should be fine as there is no specific degree requirement for finance although they do prefer more competitive degrees.
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you actually looked at the entry requirements for both these subjects at LSE and Imperial?
Original post by mstthew
Yeah ur screwed. Ur A-levels are just maths and two sciences so you can't do a humanities degree, Engineering at a good university is out of the window because of no FM, for finance u need to ideally go to target unis ( LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, imperial) so LSE is also out of the window, u can rlly only do a some kind of science degree that doesn't require fm at above unis but if you can somehow do that u should be fine as there is no specific degree requirement for finance although they do prefer more competitive degrees.

oh... thats helpful 😭
Original post by McGinger
Have you actually looked at the entry requirements for both these subjects at LSE and Imperial?

they say you don't need it but everywhere says preferable and ofc they're competitive unis so I'm going against people with those subject choices so they will inevitably have an upper hand
Reply 6
they say you don't need it but everywhere says preferable and ofc they're competitive unis so I'm going against people with those subject choices so they will inevitably have an upper hand

Useful tip: If they say something is preferable they are indirectly saying it is a requirement. At LSE for courses such as econ/finance/stats around 95% (Official figure) of offer holders have fm, the other 5% is people whose colleges didn't offer fm
There are other top Universities that dont require FM for either Finance or Enginering.- ie. dont get fixated on 'London'.
Finance at Bath - AAA or A*AB in three A levels including A in Mathematics.
Mech Eng at Bath - A*AA in three A levels including Mathematics and Physics with A* in Mathematics or Physics
as just one example.
Reply 8
i got a PPE offer from LSE without further maths, but I also had 2 humanities A Levels to balance out the 2 STEM (maths and chemistry), maybe look at hybrid degrees, but even a science degree would still open you up for finance. these industries care more that you have a degree (i.e. good critical thinking and analysis), rather than a specifically targetted one -- there's a reason why these firms train their intakes afresh
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
There are other top Universities that dont require FM for either Finance or Enginering.- ie. dont get fixated on 'London'.
Finance at Bath - AAA or A*AB in three A levels including A in Mathematics.
Mech Eng at Bath - A*AA in three A levels including Mathematics and Physics with A* in Mathematics or Physics
as just one example.

Bath is not a good uni lmao, especially not for finance. I highly recommend doing a competitive stem degree at finance target universities which will still give you a solid chance in finance though not engineering
Original post by mstthew
Yeah ur screwed. Ur A-levels are just maths and two sciences so you can't do a humanities degree

This is not true, plenty of humanities courses are quite happy to accept those with STEM backgrounds at LSE, Oxbridge, and similar - for example anthropology, archaeology, linguistics, law, many languages, and quite a few others. The social sciences are even more flexible in that regard, and some may even prefer it (e.g. psychology).
oh... thats helpful 😭

As above, you are perfectly able to do a humanities course at uni with your background. You just aren't going to be able to do all humanities courses at every uni - as some may require a specific subject (e.g. history for most history degrees, English lit for virtually all lit degrees) or may require an essay based subject (e.g. economic history at LSE specifically requires this I believe).
I’d also note which of the above accounts have been banned before taking their unqualified advice into account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending