Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wanted to ask what you, as students, think of the nightlife in the actual city - I know there are tons of events inside the Uni and colleges (Bops etc.) but I'd like to know what you think of nightlife outside the walls of the Uni.
    I really like going to clubs etc to meet new people and get lost in the crowd, and mingle with a mixed bunch... what is your opinion of the places to go? (I'm sure there are plenty of pubs - that's not a worry.)

ReputationRep:
    Um, I've only ever been to a nightclub once (and this was in Wales), so I know very little about clubbing in Cambridge and I don't really care much about it...from what I'm told, Cambridge doesn't exactly offer a lot if you want to go to a new nightclub to get wasted every night, but London's only about an hour away by train, so...

ReputationRep:
    like squishy, i'm not a big "clubbing person" and I would think that people in cambridge tend to be less "clubby" and more "pubby" in general. But if you do desire clubbing action, then there are about 4 clubs to try out:

Cindies (actually called Balare but everyone calls it Cindies for an ancient reason): Loads of cheese although the dj cuts songs short. Usually v busy
    Life: Dunno what goes on here tbh, probably more cheese
    Cocos: I've heard this place is closing and becoming a trendy wine bar, but that might be a rumour, I dunno. It does an urban night each week

And then there's another one i think, but i forget.
    In general people head to these places after getting slaughtered at the bar or at a formal hall.....people tend to be wasted before walking in the door. Hence why I have always found clubs such depressing places!

Apart from those clubs, and the pubs, there are a few band nights which certain venues do often (at The Junction....never been myself but apparently it's quite good fun).

Tbh I get the feeling most cambridge students like to stay within the walls of their college....venturing perhaps to the nearest pub.....and only after closing time venturing to the clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Takemetoavalon, what kind of music you in to? Whered ya go clubbing at the moment? iv got an offer for law 2005 at cam and i was thinkin the same as you about nightlife...

ReputationRep:
    it really depends where you're from already as to what you make of cindies/cocos/life. they're all pretty tiny and rubbish (though cocos is on four floors??), but they are a laugh, and you'll find yourselves meeting bazillions of new people both there and just generally being in cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Nightlife in Cambridge is an oxymoron, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Cindies (actually called Balare but everyone calls it Cindies for an ancient reason): Loads of cheese although the dj cuts songs short. Usually v busy
    I discovered why this is! Apparently at some hour of the night (dunno when) they have a "power hour" where they play one minute of each song, for an hour - all the cheesy classics. That's why it is, but it really annoys me too. Last time we were there was wicked though, we got SO many shout-outs

ReputationRep:
    oh my god that's why! it never feels like a full hour. but jesus christ that sucks, it's soooo annoying when a song you loves comes on then they playing some random poop you don't recognise what feels like a few secs later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    oh my god that's why! it never feels like a full hour. but jesus christ that sucks, it's soooo annoying when a song you loves comes on then they playing some random poop you don't recognise what feels like a few secs later.
    I know, tis really annoying. Especially when it's Summer of 69, which is officially my favouritest drunken cheesy song EVER.

ReputationRep:
    I did wonder about that.. I thought it was just a really crappy DJ (i.e. a DJ who was cutting off my favourite songs and playing too many of my least favourite)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyd_y02)
    Takemetoavalon, what kind of music you in to? Whered ya go clubbing at the moment? iv got an offer for law 2005 at cam and i was thinkin the same as you about nightlife...
    Hi, I've got an offer for the same but at Downing. No-ones mentioned the Fez club yet, which looked fairly good when I was there, I've only been in once though... do any people at Cam know what it's like?

Emily

ReputationRep:
    Monday at Fez is really good, the rest of the time less so. Depends what you like though, as if you're disappointed by funk and 80s hip-hop you might be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    like squishy, i'm not a big "clubbing person" and I would think that people in cambridge tend to be less "clubby" and more "pubby" in general. But if you do desire clubbing action, then there are about 4 clubs to try out:

Life: Dunno what goes on here tbh, probably more cheese
    Cocos: I've heard this place is closing and becoming a trendy wine bar, but that might be a rumour, I dunno. It does an urban night each week

And then there's another one i think, but i forget.
    In general people head to these places after getting slaughtered at the bar or at a formal hall.....people tend to be wasted before walking in the door. Hence why I have always found clubs such depressing places!

Apart from those clubs, and the pubs, there are a few band nights which certain venues do often (at The Junction....never been myself but apparently it's quite good fun).

Tbh I get the feeling most cambridge students like to stay within the walls of their college....venturing perhaps to the nearest pub.....and only after closing time venturing to the clubs.
    mmm... well fair enough, it sounds like there is some fun to be had. Cheesy clubs rule! (for a whille).

(Original post by andyd_y02)
    Good question dude!
    It is, however, easy to answer - almost anything. I predominantely listen to rock/grunge/indie/metal. I also like hiphop and rap - none of the 50 cent rubbish, but give me Cypress Hill anyday.
    Also like some Blues, Jazz (Joe Pass etc...)
    And older stuff... Led Zep, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd.
    Meh. I will go to pretty much anything if it's live...
    Hardcore dance is ok in a club for a while, but outside it's ****.

Bah, that's about it.
    Oh yeah - I love Jrock and Jpop too.
    (Original post by RxB)
    Monday at Fez is really good, the rest of the time less so. Depends what you like though, as if you're disappointed by funk and 80s hip-hop you might be disappointed.
    Well fair enough. That kind of music is ok - it's all about the ambience!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
    And older stuff... Led Zep, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd.
    Meh. I will go to pretty much anything if it's live...
    That can be dangerous. I once went to see MacFloyd - the Scottish Pink Floyd tribute band :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I also like hiphop and rap - none of the 50 cent rubbish, but give me Cypress Hill anyday.
    Stoned is the way of the walk!

If you like some proper hiphop then you'd probably enjoy Monday at Fez but be pained by Bops. You might also like some of the Ents at Clare and probably also Emma, but I've not been to any at Emma just from rumour.

You might also enjoy Kambar, I have a flyer here for a night being DJ'd by a couple of my mates that's down as "spinning dirrty pop, quirky indie, whiney emo + filthy electro"should be reasonably good. There is some half decent music if you leave the mainstream cheese behind a bit.

Also like some Blues, Jazz (Joe Pass etc...)
    Clare certainly has live Jazz nights on some Sundays, I think a couple of other colleges also do, possibly Fitz.

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platinumki)
    That can be dangerous. I once went to see MacFloyd - the Scottish Pink Floyd tribute band :eek:
    hehe, that sounds cringeworthy!
    (Original post by alaric)
    Stoned is the way of the walk!

If you like some proper hiphop then you'd probably enjoy Monday at Fez but be pained by Bops. You might also like some of the Ents at Clare and probably also Emma, but I've not been to any at Emma just from rumour.

You might also enjoy Kambar, I have a flyer here for a night being DJ'd by a couple of my mates that's down as "spinning dirrty pop, quirky indie, whiney emo + filthy electro"should be reasonably good. There is some half decent music if you leave the mainstream cheese behind a bit.
    Mm... sounds like there is enough around for mee

What sort of music is played at bops? Bubblegum pop?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of music is played at bops? Bubblegum pop?
    Cheese.

You can expect to be played at any bop:
    Build me up buttercup, Summer of 69, Living on a prayer, the final countdown, toxic, some micky jackson song, Queen and if you're very lucky they might even play House of Pain Jump Around, which nobody at the last Clare bop danced to properly :rolleyes:. There's probably loads of other `classics' that I've forgotten or deliberately erased from my mind.

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Cheese.

Build me up buttercup, Summer of 69, Living on a prayer, the final countdown, toxic, some micky jackson song, Queen and if you're very lucky they might even play House of Pain Jump Around, which nobody at the last Clare bop danced to properly :rolleyes:. There's probably loads of other `classics' that I've forgotten or deliberately erased from my mind.

A.
    Oh dear. I go to this goth club sosmetimes, and the last half hour always contains songs of that calibre. They're great the first 3 times, then you just feel like sitting down when they play them.

I'll have to DJ one night - everyone can complain about my music taste then!

Oh yeah, more seriously, who does decide the music? The ents?

Cheese all round, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Cheese.

A.
    I am the one and onleeeeee!

ReputationRep:
    Cheese

*sings* I could be so lucky... lucky lucky lucky... I could be so lucky in looove *sings*

I think the words are right there.... :rolleyes: don't quote me on that.

And no I don't know why I posted that :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.