The Student Room Group

Paraphrasing tools in coursework. Is it plagiarism?

I’ve seen my entire class and most of my year copy and paste coursework however they use a paraphrasing tool and don’t cite the work. It’s all marked by the teachers and they’ve said to use paraphrasing tools so you don’t get into trouble for plagiarism. Is that malpractice and can I lose marks from the exam board if they get a report of plagiarism? I’m in secondary school btw
Plagerism is plagerism.
And yes it can easily come up on a plagiarism checker if you paraphrase an entire sentence or paragraph.
This is why it's better to only paraphrase a couple of sentences and always cite the source (referencing).
However, it depends on what you're doing, as I doubt in secondary school they are that strict on plagiarism. What course, level, and the subject is it?
Reply 2
Original post by slickpanda987
Plagerism is plagerism.
And yes it can easily come up on a plagiarism checker if you paraphrase an entire sentence or paragraph.
This is why it's better to only paraphrase a couple of sentences and always cite the source (referencing).
However, it depends on what you're doing, as I doubt in secondary school they are that strict on plagiarism. What course, level, and the subject is it?

The issue is that they’re using a paraphrasing tool for everything that comes up. It’s a Cambridge Nationals Enterprise and Marketing exam series I’m doing. It’s mostly coursework. Quite unfair for me because I spent hours and hours writing out my coursework in detail when my classmates are literally copying and pasting from the internet. My teacher is supposed to mark it and send the results to OCR.

Quick Reply