The Student Room Group

My UCAS application

Hi guys i do Biology, Chemistry , Business and im predicted A*AA in these subjects. I’ve applied to Leeds, Imperial, Bristol, Manchester and York for Biotechnology and i’m not sure which one of these is the best option since i live in cardiff and most of these universities are quite far away. I’m also not sure about the diversity of some of these unis which is important to me since i’m a black student and would prefer a uni with a higher black population
Original post by Priscylladjalo14
Hi guys i do Biology, Chemistry , Business and im predicted A*AA in these subjects. I’ve applied to Leeds, Imperial, Bristol, Manchester and York for Biotechnology and i’m not sure which one of these is the best option since i live in cardiff and most of these universities are quite far away. I’m also not sure about the diversity of some of these unis which is important to me since i’m a black student and would prefer a uni with a higher black population

as a black person as well, i know manchester the city is very diverse, but i cannot tell you about the student population and last i checked there's a direct train from manny to cardiff. same with bristol and london (imperial). i would say bristol and imperial both have a reputation (from what ive heard) for being very posh, but imperial seems more diverse (mainly bc its in london) than bristol. i have a black friend in leeds and she says its very diverse, however im dont think there's a direct train from cardiff but its probably just one change and same with york, but i dont know how diverse york is. you should also take into account that york is a campus uni, so even if york itself isnt very diverse, the campus might be moreso and it will also be easier to be around other students. the others are like semi-campus/city universities (not too sure on leeds), which i would say makes bristol the least appealing choice at the moment even though its closest. i would say your best bet is manchester, leeds or imperial, however london can be very overwhelming and expensive, but definitely check out their campuses either in person or online.
Have you got any offers?
Original post by McGinger
Have you got any offers?

no not yet! i just want to find out more about the unis since i’ve already applied.if i don’t get it in to certain unis it won’t matter anyway but i’m just being cautious in case i get offers from all unis (best case scenario)
If you get offers you will be invited to Offer Holder Visit Days - go, look around, ask questions - especially to existing students.
And remember that all of these Unis are in large, diverse cities - think beyond just the Uni itself.
Original post by Priscylladjalo14

@Priscylladjalo14

Congrats on your predicted grades!

You may have to move far away to go to your university of choice. I know that can seem very daunting but remember thousands of students will be doing the same thing in September. This means that you will not be alone in wanting to build friendships!

Open days might help you get a feel for the university and the city, though remember the time you visit may have an impact on the number of students you meet and see, especially if you go during the holidays.

Big cities are normally diverse, but that doesn’t mean that there will be a large black population in the city or at the university.

You may also find that you meet more black international students than black British students.

Your university subject may also mean you have more or less black people on your course.

Universities normally have an African and Caribbean Society, where black students can get to know other black students, so no matter which city you choose, your university should have an ACS.

Finally, university is a great opportunity to meet people of different races and nationalities and to form a range of friendships, so though it may be important to you to go to a university with a large black population, you may find that you form friendships with people from many different races and backgrounds.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield.
I got offers for biotechnology from imperial, Manchester and york!
Update: I’ve recieved offers from York, Leeds and Imperial! just waiting for Manchester and Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest