The Student Room Group

Accepting Cambridge Offer?

I recently got an offer for a postgraduate degree at Cambridge, I'm a US applicant and am a bit confused about the system. My deadline to accept is by 4/19 but my offer is conditional, so am I supposed to accept the offer first and then submit all of my documents to satisfy my conditions? It's conditional on a GPA and that won't be final until late May.

Also, I don't see that I need to pay a deposit, does this mean that accepting the offer isn't "binding" ? Basically, is accepting the offer cementing my place in the program 100%? I saw someone say that accepting the offer is basically like saying "you are still on my decision list" but I'm not sure about this.

I tried finding more details on the website and on the camsis but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have insight?
Not absolutely certain how it works for postgrad applications but it's very normal to get conditional offers for undergraduate study - typically they will accept the offer and then if they meet the conditions, it will translate to a place, and if you don't then the uni may accept you at their discretion or may simply say you missed the conditions of your offer and reject you at that point.

Basically, if you accept the conditional offer you will be 100% guaranteed a place if you meet the conditions.
I apologize if my question is not clear enough, I'm not sure how to word it. Basically, I applied to other programs (at Cambridge and elsewhere) and I'm waiting to see what happens there. According to a different post I saw on here, accepting the offer is just a way of saying "you're still on my decision list," which doesn't seem very serious to me (at least with the American way of having to pay non-refundable deposits). I'm wondering if I accept this offer, do I have to withdraw my other applications immediately? Or can I still wait to see what happens with the other programs?
Original post by artful_lounger
Not absolutely certain how it works for postgrad applications but it's very normal to get conditional offers for undergraduate study - typically they will accept the offer and then if they meet the conditions, it will translate to a place, and if you don't then the uni may accept you at their discretion or may simply say you missed the conditions of your offer and reject you at that point.

Basically, if you accept the conditional offer you will be 100% guaranteed a place if you meet the conditions.
Original post by neuronerd01
I apologize if my question is not clear enough, I'm not sure how to word it. Basically, I applied to other programs (at Cambridge and elsewhere) and I'm waiting to see what happens there. According to a different post I saw on here, accepting the offer is just a way of saying "you're still on my decision list," which doesn't seem very serious to me (at least with the American way of having to pay non-refundable deposits). I'm wondering if I accept this offer, do I have to withdraw my other applications immediately? Or can I still wait to see what happens with the other programs?

You'd have to check with the exact terms of the offer but unless it says you need to withdraw any other offers (which I doubt) and you don't have to pay any deposits then I can't see a reason to not accept it and then if you decide against it to drop it later.
I recently got an offer for a postgraduate degree at Cambridge, I'm a US applicant and am a bit confused about the system. My deadline to accept is by 4/19 but my offer is conditional, so am I supposed to accept the offer first and then submit all of my documents to satisfy my conditions? It's conditional on a GPA and that won't be final until late May.

Also, I don't see that I need to pay a deposit, does this mean that accepting the offer isn't "binding" ? Basically, is accepting the offer cementing my place in the program 100%? I saw someone say that accepting the offer is basically like saying "you are still on my decision list" but I'm not sure about this.

I tried finding more details on the website and on the camsis but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have insight?

You can accept an offer and then reject at any point, the only thing deterring you is if the Uni (very few) asks for a deposit. However, it's still early for Cam, and if you have applied to multiple courses at Cam, it's not a good look to have accepted one course while another is still deciding.

hi, you could post this question on the specific postgraduate thread for Cam.
also, if you are prepared to email the college directly they will be in the best position to advise you.
Original post by MedMama
hi, you could post this question on the specific postgraduate thread for Cam.
also, if you are prepared to email the college directly they will be in the best position to advise you.

I probably will email them directly, thank you :smile:
Original post by threeportdrift
You can accept an offer and then reject at any point, the only thing deterring you is if the Uni (very few) asks for a deposit. However, it's still early for Cam, and if you have applied to multiple courses at Cam, it's not a good look to have accepted one course while another is still deciding.

That's what makes the most sense to me too, I don't think it's the best to accept when I have another application under review, especially because the departments are quite connected.

Quick Reply

Latest