The Student Room Group

Degree choice

N/a
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _np02_
I'm interested in human thought , behaviour, self-awarness, society, communities, education partiuclary when dealing with ignorance, character, knowledge etc as well as charity / volunteer work. I would like to discuss such subjects as well as be able to write about them however I haven't been able to link these areas to a certain degree as I find a lot of degrees tend to be limited in various areas or not satisfactionary to these areas in full. I also struggle to link a career to these areas and if I wanted to write about these areas it wouldn't really be easy to get published or making a living from it unless you have some sort of connections. I would appreciate if someone could tell me What degree and job would they recommend for me?

I would possibly suggest a degree in sociology and you could tie it up with education or psychology too. York do a degree in sociology and education and also one in sociology with social psychology if that helps you to make a start researching this.
Original post by _np02_
I'm interested in human thought , behaviour, self-awarness, society, communities, education partiuclary when dealing with ignorance, character, knowledge etc as well as charity / volunteer work. I would like to discuss such subjects as well as be able to write about them however I haven't been able to link these areas to a certain degree as I find a lot of degrees tend to be limited in various areas or not satisfactionary to these areas in full. I also struggle to link a career to these areas and if I wanted to write about these areas it wouldn't really be easy to get published or making a living from it unless you have some sort of connections. I would appreciate if someone could tell me What degree and job would they recommend for me?

Hi! I really struggled with a lot of these things too when thinking about degrees and careers; I have a lot of interests and didn't want to have to narrow it down to one for university - finding this subject to narrow it to was also hard as I share similar interests, as well as a few different ones, but no course seemed tailored to it. On my degree now at the London Interdisciplinary School (www.lis.ac.uk) I have been able to study different subjects, which suits my many passions, as it offers such a variety within the degree - called 'Interdisciplinary Problems and Methods'. We have also learnt about some of these subjects as well, such as the importance of accounting for community, and covering exciting modules discussing e.g. cognitive biases which really developed my curiosity about human thought. Hope this helps!
Original post by _np02_

Hi,

I was wondering if you had considered a natural sciences degree. It would mean that you can study multiple different areas at once including psychology and geography. This would mean that you could choose more freely what topics to study based on what interests you. I have linked the page here so you can see if it something you may be interested in. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

-Beth
Original post by _np02_

Sociology
Original post by _np02_

Sounds like you'd be interested in a sociology or psychology degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending