Are they allowed to just fine you anything? Watch

TOSCS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So far we've had a €120 fine for an 'overnight guest' (my mate kipping the night on the sofa), €65 for a fire extinguisher that someone (none of us in the flat) let off, and €71 (odd amount) for a 'smoke head'. At first none us knew wtf that was because we weren't aware of any damage, but apparently it's the smoke detector thing in the hall which I had noticed was gone but just assumed was being replaced or something, as none of us had broken it. The date on the letter referred to the very first night here, when none of us were even in the flat (everyone was partying outside).

It really does seem like they take the piss here, we have weekly inspections where they give out about everything, even stuff like full bins (as if you're supposed to take them out when they're half full or something). I mean, nobody likes a dirty flat, but anybody who doesn't have OCD knows there's a bit of leeway between spotless and liveable.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TOSCS)

It really does seem like they take the piss here, we have weekly inspections where they give out about everything, even stuff like full bins (as if you're supposed to take them out when they're half full or something). I mean, nobody likes a dirty flat, but anybody who doesn't have OCD knows there's a bit of leeway between spotless and liveable.
Our inspections are daily. Every ******* morning this woman comes in and thinks to herself "SOMEONES BEEN LIVING IN THIS FLAT. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED" and writes you an angry letter.
We pay rent to live here.
TOSCS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know landlords can be pricks in general, but I think they especially take the piss with students. It's silly, we're adults for christ's sake yet we still get made to feel like kids. I pay €103 (£87) a week to live here, and I'm not allowed someone stay over??

The other day we were having a class house party at about 9pm with a massive amp and strobe lights, and security came and tried to shut it down, first claiming that the people downstairs complained (which they didn't), then that the strobe wasn't allowed under our license agreement. So we got the license agreement up on the internet and shock-horror it didn't mention anything about lights (other than no fairy lights due to fire hazard). It said no loud noises after 11pm, so we just kicked it all off again.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
Our inspections are daily. Every ******* morning this woman comes in and thinks to herself "SOMEONES BEEN LIVING IN THIS FLAT. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED" and writes you an angry letter.
We pay rent to live here.
She's not that bad.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
She's not that bad.
Srsly.You don't live in Stafford, so you have no understanding of being woken up every morning by someone slapping on your door.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Srsly.You don't live in Stafford, so you have no understanding of being woken up every morning by someone slapping on your door.
No, we can't be woken up every morning in Dalton because we can't get to sleep to begin with! Theres always music up/downstairs, a loud flatmate with her friends yelling the corridor, or people outside having an argument or something. I had to listen to someone singing James Blunt's "Goodbye my lover" for 35 minutes the night before the accounting exam. :mad:

I could be doing with someone banging on my door early to wake me up for lectures! My flatmate does sometimes when Im obviously not up and around in time.

Didn't you have a fire alarm as well last night btw?
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)

Didn't you have a fire alarm as well last night btw?
Hahahaha I went home so i don't know. I am a lucky lucky girl, same happened at halloween, was away.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hahahaha I went home so i don't know. I am a lucky lucky girl, same happened at halloween, was away.
The alarms go off everytime you go home? Lucky you. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads