The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University: Do I need to enrol on my second module in January?

Hi Everybody :smile:

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

So I enrolled on the course criminology and phycology, part-time 60 credits a year, 16 hours a week in September 2022. I am currently on block 2 Introduction to Criminology DD105.

This is my first university experience and I was wondering how I enrol in my next module, Investigating Psychology DE100. I am unsure if I should be enrolled on this module to start in January 2023 or September 2023. If I enrolled to start in January that will be an extra 60 credits which I may struggle with as I also work full-time but I don't want to miss the enrolment dead line date if this is when I am supposed to begin the module.

I was hoping if any students that have studied part-time with the open university could tell me how the process works please, am I meant to be enrolled on my second module by now or is it fine to enrol in September? And if I do enrol in September do the two modules alternate each year? for example

2022 - Introduction to criminology, 60 credits
2023 - Investigating psychology, 60 credits
2024 - Understanding criminology, 60 credits
2025 - Living psychology, 60 credits
2026 - Crime, harm and the state, criminology, 60 credits
2027 - Counselling and forensic psychology, 60 credits

I would be grateful if somebody could give me some insight on how this works please.

Many Thanks,
Bethany.
Original post by Bbrad95

So I enrolled on the course criminology and phycology, part-time 60 credits a year, 16 hours a week in September 2022. I am currently on block 2 Introduction to Criminology DD105.

This is my first university experience and I was wondering how I enrol in my next module, Investigating Psychology DE100. I am unsure if I should be enrolled on this module to start in January 2023 or September 2023. If I enrolled to start in January that will be an extra 60 credits which I may struggle with as I also work full-time but I don't want to miss the enrolment dead line date if this is when I am supposed to begin the module.

I was hoping if any students that have studied part-time with the open university could tell me how the process works please, am I meant to be enrolled on my second module by now or is it fine to enrol in September? And if I do enrol in September do the two modules alternate each year? for example

I would be grateful if somebody could give me some insight on how this works please.

Many Thanks,
Bethany.

It's completely up to you - how many credits you feel comfortable with taking at the same time :smile: The OU offers a lot of flexibility in being able to scale this up or down as fits your needs. You can even take a year "out" and then continue your studies, for most programmes.

Usually modules run every year, if they don't you should be able to check with the OU advisors (as I recall they had some kind of phone line you could ring for that).

That said, I think you might've missed the deadline to register for a January start module already? I think it's like 4-6 weeks before the module is due to start as I recall. So you might need to wait to register in the summer for the October start module anyway!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Bbrad95

Many Thanks,
Bethany.

Personally I started in the October of 2017 and added another module in January the following year. It's feasible at level one but it means you lose out on a Summer break because by the time you finish the second module, your third module will be starting a few weeks later. So it's up to you whether you wish to lose out on your Summer break or not. It's not the easiest to continue studying almost continuously for approximately 18 months.

Module enrolment for October starts usually opens around March time and it's best to enrol as soon as possible to avoid disappointment and delays. I would not leave it until September to enrol for any October start modules, otherwise you could lose out on a place.

If you study completely part time through your degree, you would be starting a new module every October and they finish around May time of the following year. It's only at level one that you can start a module in January.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bbrad95

Many Thanks,
Bethany.

You can enrol whenever you like. You can throw in a year off in the middle if you want! If you want to continue studying part-time, you would enrol for the October 2023 intake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending