The Student Room Group

Can i still get a first even though im behind in my dissertation?

I am in final year of my degree and I still have not completed my ethics form or literature review for my dissertation due to personal issues.

Is it still possible to get a first and do you guys have any tips? Thank you!
Depends how long your diss is. You can always apply for an extension if your personal circumstances are serious enough to warrant one. Also getting a first doesn’t matter too much. No one really cares tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Depends how long your diss is. You can always apply for an extension if your personal circumstances are serious enough to warrant one. Also getting a first doesn’t matter too much. No one really cares tbh.

Hi it's 10,000 words and it's a qualitative research project. I know no one cares, I just want a first for myself :smile:

Thanks for the response :smile: I already get automatic extensions due to my disabilities. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a first in my diss despite being super behind. Ethics was supposed to be handed in october and i was supposed to finish literature reviews and methodology chapters by xmas which I haven't. Is it possible to still get a first despite not being ready for data collection yet?
Original post by wizkidss
Hi it's 10,000 words and it's a qualitative research project. I know no one cares, I just want a first for myself :smile:

Thanks for the response :smile: I already get automatic extensions due to my disabilities. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a first in my diss despite being super behind. Ethics was supposed to be handed in october and i was supposed to finish literature reviews and methodology chapters by xmas which I haven't. Is it possible to still get a first despite not being ready for data collection yet?

Depends how much your dissertation is worth compared to your other modules, what you are predicted as well as the grades you gained in the second year. No one can answer that question accurately.
Reply 4
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Depends how much your dissertation is worth compared to your other modules, what you are predicted as well as the grades you gained in the second year. No one can answer that question accurately.

Oh sorry, I was just wondering if it's still possible to get a first in my dissertation despite being behind and some tips? :smile:
I've recieved a first in all my assessment this year and last year I recieved a 2:1 overall with 1.3% off a first (didn't do as well due to a lot of personal issues so ended up doing them last minute with 3 assessments in 1 day :c) My final year is worth 67% of my degree though so i feel it's possible for me to get a first overall.

But I'm just wondering specifically about the dissertation and tips on getting a first in a social science diss despite being behind :smile:
Original post by wizkidss
Oh sorry, I was just wondering if it's still possible to get a first in my dissertation despite being behind and some tips? :smile:
I've recieved a first in all my assessment this year and last year I recieved a 2:1 overall with 1.3% off a first (didn't do as well due to a lot of personal issues so ended up doing them last minute with 3 assessments in 1 day :c) My final year is worth 67% of my degree though so i feel it's possible for me to get a first overall.

But I'm just wondering specifically about the dissertation and tips on getting a first in a social science diss despite being behind :smile:

I don’t see why not if you use this time productively

Quick Reply

Latest