The Student Room Group

GCSE options

I am about to pick my Gcse options and just wondering for those of you who got into Oxford or Cambridge whether you did gcse history or not? If you did gcses what subject would you say is the best out if the ones you picked? Thanks 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
Don’t base your gcse options on the correlation of people who got into oxbridge doing or not doing history. I can almost guarantee them doing history at gcse had no baring on whether they got a place at those universities.

Pick your GCSEs on 3 things 1. What you enjoy 2. What you are good at 3. What you need for a levels.
History has some great transferable skills but I would argue those skills can be achieved with any humanity. GCSEs in the grand scheme of things mean very very little so don’t stress too much about the ones you pick :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by NormalBrit
I am about to pick my Gcse options and just wondering for those of you who got into Oxford or Cambridge whether you did gcse history or not? Thanks 😊

do whatever u want!!!
Original post by ALEreapp
Don’t base your gcse options on the correlation of people who got into oxbridge doing or not doing history. I can almost guarantee them doing history at gcse had no baring on whether they got a place at those universities.

Pick your GCSEs on 3 things 1. What you enjoy 2. What you are good at 3. What you need for a levels.
History has some great transferable skills but I would argue those skills can be achieved with any humanity. GCSEs in the grand scheme of things mean very very little so don’t stress too much about the ones you pick :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! I am stuck between Religious Studies and History GCSE. My other choices are French,Latin and Geography, so I don't know what to pick for my 4th choice
Reply 4
I am about to pick my Gcse options and just wondering for those of you who got into Oxford or Cambridge whether you did gcse history or not? Thanks 😊

I am also choosing GCSEs this year, and I agree with what others say - oxbridge will care a lot more about your A levels than the GCSEs you pick! I'd say, go with what you enjoy (and preferably something you think you're good at).

If it's any help, the GCSEs I'm planning on doing are:
English Lit + Lang, Maths, Biology, History, Geography, Psychology, and Religious Studies.
I go to an online school and the only requirements are English, Maths, and at least 1 science. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Oxbridge don't care about what you did for GCSE, as long as you have high grades in them. A levels and any entrance exams you have to sit are more important
Original post by liziter
I am also choosing GCSEs this year, and I agree with what others say - oxbridge will care a lot more about your A levels than the GCSEs you pick! I'd say, go with what you enjoy (and preferably something you think you're good at).

If it's any help, the GCSEs I'm planning on doing are:
English Lit + Lang, Maths, Biology, History, Geography, Psychology, and Religious Studies.
I go to an online school and the only requirements are English, Maths, and at least 1 science. :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest