The Student Room Group

Medical/orthodontic help

I got my braces in June end. Now I'm going to uk in January what should I do? I have completed 6-7 months of the treatment. I have to continue for another year but I can't find a dentist that will take up my case in Birmingham. Should I take off my braces before going or keep them and find a dentist after reaching uk?

Will the treatment be expensive?
Original post by Mythily251
I got my braces in June end. Now I'm going to uk in January what should I do? I have completed 6-7 months of the treatment. I have to continue for another year but I can't find a dentist that will take up my case in Birmingham. Should I take off my braces before going or keep them and find a dentist after reaching uk?

If you have only completed 6-7 months of your orthodontic treatment, it is generally not recommended to remove your braces before completing your treatment. This is because your teeth are still in the process of being repositioned and if you remove your braces too early, your teeth may not be in their proper positions and may need to be re-braced, which can prolong your treatment time and be more costly in the long run.

It is important to try to find an orthodontist in the UK who can continue your treatment before you leave. You may want to consider reaching out to your current orthodontist for recommendations or to see if they have any connections in the UK who may be able to take over your care. You can also try searching for orthodontists in the UK online and contacting them to see if they are able to take on new patients.

It is difficult to predict exactly how much your orthodontic treatment will cost in the UK without more information about your specific case. However, it is generally more expensive to receive orthodontic treatment in a country with a higher cost of living, such as the UK. In addition, if you need to start your treatment over with a new orthodontist, it may also be more expensive as you will need to go through the initial consultation and diagnostic process again.

In general, it is a good idea to try to continue your orthodontic treatment without interruptions if possible, as this can help ensure that your treatment is as efficient and effective as possible. If you are unable to find an orthodontist in the UK who is able to take over your care, you may want to consider delaying your trip until your treatment is completed or discussing alternative treatment options with your current orthodontist.

Leave your braces on, move to the UK, go to your nearest dentist and ask them what the process of NHS, emergency or private dental care is. It will depend on your age and visa status I guess. We have plenty of dentists in the UK, just mostly private.
Reply 3
Original post by EditaPaperCom
If you have only completed 6-7 months of your orthodontic treatment, it is generally not recommended to remove your braces before completing your treatment. This is because your teeth are still in the process of being repositioned and if you remove your braces too early, your teeth may not be in their proper positions and may need to be re-braced, which can prolong your treatment time and be more costly in the long run.

It is important to try to find an orthodontist in the UK who can continue your treatment before you leave. You may want to consider reaching out to your current orthodontist for recommendations or to see if they have any connections in the UK who may be able to take over your care. You can also try searching for orthodontists in the UK online and contacting them to see if they are able to take on new patients.

It is difficult to predict exactly how much your orthodontic treatment will cost in the UK without more information about your specific case. However, it is generally more expensive to receive orthodontic treatment in a country with a higher cost of living, such as the UK. In addition, if you need to start your treatment over with a new orthodontist, it may also be more expensive as you will need to go through the initial consultation and diagnostic process again.

In general, it is a good idea to try to continue your orthodontic treatment without interruptions if possible, as this can help ensure that your treatment is as efficient and effective as possible. If you are unable to find an orthodontist in the UK who is able to take over your care, you may want to consider delaying your trip until your treatment is completed or discussing alternative treatment options with your current orthodontist.

I tried reaching out to a lot of dentists that I found through Google but most of them didn't reply or refused to take on the case. I'm going for my higher studies so I can't change the dates for that.

Can you let me know if you have any recommendations in Birmingham, near the city centre? Thank you so much for trying to help me out!
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Leave your braces on, move to the UK, go to your nearest dentist and ask them what the process of NHS, emergency or private dental care is. It will depend on your age and visa status I guess. We have plenty of dentists in the UK, just mostly private.

Thank youu!! If I not able to arrange it beforehand, I'll definitely do this
Thank youu!! If I not able to arrange it beforehand, I'll definitely do this

I seriously doubt you will be able to arrange it beforehand. Unless you have thousands to go private, in which case why is this an issue, then no dentist will accept you for treatment without you being in the country.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
I seriously doubt you will be able to arrange it beforehand. Unless you have thousands to go private, in which case why is this an issue, then no dentist will accept you for treatment without you being in the country.

Nope I heard private is too expensive 🤐 I guess I'll have to find one after reaching there

Quick Reply

Latest