Graduation with College Watch

overanalytical
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Maybe I'm thinking ahead a little too much here, but am I crazy in believing graduating with your college is a terrible idea?

If people have lived off campus their whole time at university, surely they won't know anyone from their college. We spend most of our time working with our department, to me it'd make so much more sense if it's done with them instead.

How do other universities do it?
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by overanalytical)
Maybe I'm thinking ahead a little too much here, but am I crazy in believing graduating with your college is a terrible idea?

If people have lived off campus their whole time at university, surely they won't know anyone from their college. We spend most of our time working with our department, to me it'd make so much more sense if it's done with them instead.

How do other universities do it?
I am inclined to agree with you; I won't see a single one of my best friends on Graduation day as we are all in different colleges. Although I have been on campus for three years, and get on OK with my flatmates, we are not really that close.
On the other hand, Great Hall is not that big, and they need to divide the ceremonies up somehow. I believe other unis do it by departments, which might be better (or not).
It all depends where you have made your friendships. I suppose it's only one day, and it's not that important, but I would prefer to be able to spend it with good friends if possible!
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are only 8 colleges, even if you live off-campus, at least one of your departmental buddies must be in the same college as you?!
philip67
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a lot of my friends are in my college. Im gunna enjoy graduating with them!
floss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are only 40 people on my course. Some of them are really good friends of mine. I also have some AMAZING hockey girls that would make graduating hilarious! But my best friends are in my college (except Phil) and I wouldn't want to graduate without them!

If you choose to live off-campus you can change college to graduate.. But you have to do it soon!!
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know anybody on my course and in my college, obviously there must be some but none Ive really befriended. Pretty much all of the friends Ive made so far are in other colleges.
Teao the Cat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love the fact that I will graduate with my college. My very best friends are the people that I was lucky enough to be livng with in first year! People on my course- well, apart from four or five, I only see them in lectures, and those people I usually have something else with as well, like choir. Actually, most of them are in my secondary department, so I wouldn't graduate wiht them anyway.
browzer-911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dosent really make that much difference. Sure you wont see them at the actual ceremony but most people hang around with their families anyway. Stay in lancaster for a couple of days during graduation week to meet, go out and celebrate
El Nombre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unfortunately most of my friends are in Bowland, and I’m in Grizedale. I would like to graduate with them as I’ll be living with them for the next two years, and we're a pretty close bunch.

Just out of interest, how easy would it be for me to change colleges if I live off campus? I’d imagine I'd have to get in touch with the senior tutors of both colleges?

To be honest I really couldn’t care for the college system…
floss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:O

You'll just have to pay to transfer colleges. Not living on campus will make it easier to change.
Ministry
Report 10 years ago
Well, if you chose to come to a collegiate university....

If you really feel a greater affinity for a different college, it may be worth switching, but don't expect a change to graduation 'by department' - that's totally against the Lancaster ethos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads