The Student Room Group

college and stress

my post was taken down, i don't know why.

I'm currently typing this whilst having a breakdown. I'm stressed, I'm tired, and I don't know which revision technique would suit me after failing my exams. i also have a university interview in the first week of January then afterwards exam which I'm currently not prepared for. i don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Just take a break, drop everything, rest and settle yourself 💖 Don't force yourself to go on in this state 💖
Reply 2
The remedy is in your hands - with so many people feeling stressed and tired right now. Often you haven't a clue what to do with your life, and so many don't even after 50 +

Take control of your 'out of control' mindset - yes you can do this if you really want to. The more you divert attention to everything else the less you get done.

The 'dilemma' is that your head craves an excuse for not learning enough facts and is a head that is starting to go into full meltdown with a time scale that is putting the real thumb screws on you. That is a painful feeling of 'being out of control' - and yes its a horrible feeling. Take back control.

But only you can take responsibility for your own welfare.

If you need medical attention then go and get it. That is about it really. Do you need medical help or just a good revision plan in the time that is left?

In between - Why do you care so much about failing your exams, your interviews - why? Who are you failing? Your parents? Your tutors? You? Who is putting the most pressure on you?

Take an attitude that between now and when you have to 'perform' you will just do your best. Nothing more. If it is on the cards that you will get what you want then great. If not accept failure as a learning process and work on your mind set. You have one great positive and one huge advantage over a few select disadvantaged individuals. You are not going to die. You have the freedom of expression, you have had an education, and the time scales looming are not for an execution. For some people this truly is a reality. So now make the most of what you do in the time that you have.

You always have choices.

You can choose to do absolutely nothing. No work, no interview and accept that you won't go anywhere if that is as bad as you think it is. That is ok if that is what you want to do. Get medical help if you need it. You health is the most precious thing of all but be honest with yourself about what is going on for you.

Sometimes with a little bit of encouragement from the right people you can make a good start and still pull the rabbit out of the bag. But you have to do some work. Revision is the most painful of all because it really hurts to keep the brain cells activated and working hard. Committing to memory hurts - Just do it in little bits, the whole lot all at once is like a tidal wave that will knock you down. One paragraph. Three words. That is far better than nothing at all. Go and speak to your tutors, and get an overview of how to condense and best use your time in a structured way. Use this site to get revision plans in place and to target the subject areas you need to look at. You can do that and set it up. Look at memory techniques. Have a plan and stick to it. This includes rest, sleep, good nutrition, exercise and calm zone times where you stop all work whatsoever and know that's ok. Try meditation techniques or yoga for an hour if your mind has gone into overdrive. Monitor manic thoughts and keep the radar open for them. As soon as you sense them starting tell yourself you have done everything practical possible. If you are on the plan you cannot do any more. The rest for the next few months is the luck of the draw.

Use this site to research interview type questions and to think about how you might respond. Condition yourself to use this interview as a 'test the water' style exercise. If you believe you probably won't get through then use the whole process as an experience to be curious and to see what you think of the interviewers. Just go and see how it is ready for next time? They are not an execution squad. They know nothing about you. Why do you have a passion for this subject? Go in and try and do your best. Life is a series of tests, competitions and hurdles. You win some you lose some. How you keep going when you fall off the saddle or after that is the difference between opening so many doors and staying exactly where you are.

So breathe. Decide what you need to do. Get your plan drawn up. Stick to it and then if you have done your best from here on in you really can't do anymore.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttly
The remedy is in your hands - with so many people feeling stressed and tired right now. Often you haven't a clue what to do with your life, and so many don't even after 50 +

Take control of your 'out of control' mindset - yes you can do this if you really want to. The more you divert attention to everything else the less you get done.

The 'dilemma' is that your head craves an excuse for not learning enough facts and is a head that is starting to go into full meltdown with a time scale that is putting the real thumb screws on you. That is a painful feeling of 'being out of control' - and yes its a horrible feeling. Take back control.

But only you can take responsibility for your own welfare.

If you need medical attention then go and get it. That is about it really. Do you need medical help or just a good revision plan in the time that is left?

In between - Why do you care so much about failing your exams, your interviews - why? Who are you failing? Your parents? Your tutors? You? Who is putting the most pressure on you?

Take an attitude that between now and when you have to 'perform' you will just do your best. Nothing more. If it is on the cards that you will get what you want then great. If not accept failure as a learning process and work on your mind set. You have one great positive and one huge advantage over a few select disadvantaged individuals. You are not going to die. You have the freedom of expression, you have had an education, and the time scales looming are not for an execution. For some people this truly is a reality. So now make the most of what you do in the time that you have.

You always have choices.

You can choose to do absolutely nothing. No work, no interview and accept that you won't go anywhere if that is as bad as you think it is. That is ok if that is what you want to do. Get medical help if you need it. You health is the most precious thing of all but be honest with yourself about what is going on for you.

Sometimes with a little bit of encouragement from the right people you can make a good start and still pull the rabbit out of the bag. But you have to do some work. Revision is the most painful of all because it really hurts to keep the brain cells activated and working hard. Committing to memory hurts - Just do it in little bits, the whole lot all at once is like a tidal wave that will knock you down. One paragraph. Three words. That is far better than nothing at all. Go and speak to your tutors, and get an overview of how to condense and best use your time in a structured way. Use this site to get revision plans in place and to target the subject areas you need to look at. You can do that and set it up. Look at memory techniques. Have a plan and stick to it. This includes rest, sleep, good nutrition, exercise and calm zone times where you stop all work whatsoever and know that's ok. Try meditation techniques or yoga for an hour if your mind has gone into overdrive. Monitor manic thoughts and keep the radar open for them. As soon as you sense them starting tell yourself you have done everything practical possible. If you are on the plan you cannot do any more. The rest for the next few months is the luck of the draw.

Use this site to research interview type questions and to think about how you might respond. Condition yourself to use this interview as a 'test the water' style exercise. If you believe you probably won't get through then use the whole process as an experience to be curious and to see what you think of the interviewers. Just go and see how it is ready for next time? They are not an execution squad. They know nothing about you. Why do you have a passion for this subject? Go in and try and do your best. Life is a series of tests, competitions and hurdles. You win some you lose some. How you keep going when you fall off the saddle or after that is the difference between opening so many doors and staying exactly where you are.

So breathe. Decide what you need to do. Get your plan drawn up. Stick to it and then if you have done your best from here on in you really can't do anymore.

I've always known that i need some form of medical help, but I can't get it due to being in a strict and religious family. My official exam is on the 19th of January. It's mostly me, that's creating this mindset of failing everything and if I do, I'm nothing really. i have no plan b so ill just float through life aimlessly.
i don't have a proper revision technique, I've been using flashcards but since my mock results which I failed, it seems it doesn't help at all. I'm trying the blurting method, and I don't where to start or what to do. I also did a mock paper, and it made me realise how much work I need to do in such a small space of time.

Quick Reply

Latest