Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have BCC in my Highers and AA in Intermediate 2 Maths and English.
    For business management Napier need BCCC and Intermediate 2 Maths and English (A-C).
    In February 2009 there is a chance to start the BA(Hons) course that i am very interested in. In September 600-700 people start.
    In February 30-40 people start.
    I'm desperate to leave school and see this as a great opportunity.
    However i have a few worries:

1) I would have to move out at 17 and live in Edinburgh.
    2) Would i meet new friends easily due to limited amount?
    3) Money issues.
    4) Is Napier good for business i have heard mixed views.
    5) Is Napier considered a good University?

please post your views:o:

ReputationRep:
    If it's something you're really interested in the I'd say go for it. A lot of people are 17 when they go to uni so I don't think that would be an awful problem for you (if you really see it as an issue then you could wait for the september 09 intake?). I would think every student not living at home whas money issues and it's not that difficult to get a wee part time job in edinburgh. napier uni isn't brilliant in comparison to the likes of edinburgh uni, but it's not bad, and it's business school is actually quite good, i've heard. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't rate it tbh. However, you don't really have the grades for the likes of Edinburgh Uni or Glasgow so if you want to do the course I would just go for Napier.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Napier has a good rep for buisness. Not much else part from nursing. So that's not a problem for you anyway. However, I wouldn't recommend starting in Febuary.

1) Everyone in Edinburgh ID's so untill you turn 18 you can't really go out and alot of friends are made while drinking. living on you're own is hard. You would need to get private accomadation and finding somewhere at that time of the year would be quite hard.
    2) I would be harder to make friends but not impossible. You mix with other people who aren't on your course, but after the first term people will have there own friendship groups.
    3) Would you be applying for a loan? Edinburgh is expensive. I'm not sure how it would work since your starting at a different time, sorry.

Have you phoned up the admissions office and asked if they would accept you with your grades? Just because you want to leave school don't rush into this.

You have other options, like staying at school. Do you have a job? leaving and getting a job so you can go in sept which would solve your money issues.

Good luck I hope this will help.

ReputationRep:
    Napier do it by points I'm sure. It was 230 for a business course starting in September....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by North)
    Okay, Napier has a good rep for buisness. Not much else part from nursing. So that's not a problem for you anyway. However, I wouldn't recommend starting in Febuary.

1) Everyone in Edinburgh ID's so untill you turn 18 you can't really go out and alot of friends are made while drinking. living on you're own is hard. You would need to get private accomadation and finding somewhere at that time of the year would be quite hard.
    2) I would be harder to make friends but not impossible. You mix with other people who aren't on your course, but after the first term people will have there own friendship groups.
    3) Would you be applying for a loan? Edinburgh is expensive. I'm not sure how it would work since your starting at a different time, sorry.

Have you phoned up the admissions office and asked if they would accept you with your grades? Just because you want to leave school don't rush into this.

You have other options, like staying at school. Do you have a job? leaving and getting a job so you can go in sept which would solve your money issues.

Good luck I hope this will help.

thanks for ur reply i have decided to stay at school till the end of the year to get higher english

if i get that at a B i can go to calledonian :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD111)
    thanks for ur reply i have decided to stay at school till the end of the year to get higher english

if i get that at a B i can go to calledonian :yep:
    :eek: I'm going there! If I get a C in English and unless Strath makes me a offer? What course at Cal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javjamoll)
    :eek: I'm going there! If I get a C in English and unless Strath makes me a offer? What course at Cal?

lol marketing is my first choice i dont think ill get a offer from strathclyde i have BCC in higher and AA In int2 maths and english

ill meet u at cally probs lol

ReputationRep:
    I think a probable offer from Strath for me would be AB with English! I have one offer form Cal so thats good Its good to find someone on here with lower boundaries

ReputationRep:
    phoned strathclyde they want AAB
    phoned cally they want BC lol

ReputationRep:
    Let's just hope they don't wait till Jan 15th to give out offers!

Have you heard anyone get offers from Strath yet? or Napier.....?

ReputationRep:
    look above ur last post i got an offer from cally and strath clyde

i got an unconditional from napier for feb

ReputationRep:
    Yeah btu phoning isn't 'official'

I've just got a offer from Napier, unconditional But now am in a dilema as I want to go to Glasgow first but Napiers at Edunburgh! Depends how Strath off is I guess until I decide what to put down! If its too hard I might just reject it.

(Original post by SD111)
    phoned strathclyde they want AAB
    Strathclyde's Business Department is one of the best in the UK, which would explain the high requirements.

Regarding your questions:

I'm currently at Glasgow Uni and I am 17. If i'm honest, i have had some problems getting in places (I had a fake ID but it got taken off me. ), though in the pubs, i've never been ID'd so didn't have any problems.

It may be a little difficult, but there will always be people in your course, and societies to make friends. If you put the effort into doing things, then it becomes a lot easier.

3) Money issues.
    So far I've not had any money issues, though I've saved up a lot and I'm careful with my money. The university will also have support services for any worries or questions you have.

Although it's not rated very highly in the league tables, it has excellent job prospects according to The Guardian and the teaching quality isn't that bad either. It's still a relatively new university, too so it has a lot to prove.

See above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Strathclyde's Business Department is one of the best in the UK, which would explain the high requirements.

Regarding your questions:

I'm currently at Glasgow Uni and I am 17. If i'm honest, i have had some problems getting in places (I had a fake ID but it got taken off me. ), though in the pubs, i've never been ID'd so didn't have any problems.

It may be a little difficult, but there will always be people in your course, and societies to make friends. If you put the effort into doing things, then it becomes a lot easier.

3) Money issues.
    So far I've not had any money issues, though I've saved up a lot and I'm careful with my money. The university will also have support services for any worries or questions you have.

Although it's not rated very highly in the league tables, it has excellent job prospects according to The Guardian and the teaching quality isn't that bad either. It's still a relatively new university, too so it has a lot to prove.

See above.
    hey yeah the only thing really stopping me going to napier is money

my mum and dad are split up and my dad wants me to take a loan and he said hed pay it , but my mum said that its not a reliable enough option

please help

ill need money for rent and living expensive (busses, food etc)

(Original post by SD111)
    hey yeah the only thing really stopping me going to napier is money

my mum and dad are split up and my dad wants me to take a loan and he said hed pay it , but my mum said that its not a reliable enough option

please help

ill need money for rent and living expensive (busses, food etc)
    Depending on your circumstances, you could apply for grants, bursaries, scholarships, etc. I'm not very well versed on money issues so i'm perhaps not the best option to seek council on the matter. There's also the Money and Finance forum, so you might get better informed answers there.

ReputationRep:
    Umm I take it you're in 6th year? If i were you I'd stay at school and try to get more highers... with the right grades you'll be able to get into glasgow and strathclyde... also have you thought about stirling? that's a good university and the requirements are lower than g & s.

ReputationRep:
    Stirling is 4B's with standard grade english for business

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Napier and some of my mates are on the business courses! They are all really happy with their choice of course and uni.
    Napier uni has the highest graduate employment in Scotland!
    I rest my case

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.