Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard through a source (a FS who was my Guard Commander at Cosford) that theres plan to allow Long Term partners quarters providing they can prove that they are in a long term relationships. Can anyone confirm or deny this? His reasoning seemed correct (having to recognise civil partnerships and homosexual relationships) but I wasn't sure whether it was correct.

ReputationRep:
    Some camps that have a surpluss of quaters already allow that. However I think they are few and far between. They do however let you have a quarter if your not married but are financially responsible for a child. (I think?) I know High Wycombe allow unmarried couple to have spare quarters as it makes sense to do so.

ReputationRep:
    At most bases unmarried couples can apply for quarters. If they get quarters great. But if a married couple come along you are given 8 weeks notice to leave.

Also, i found out the other day that if you are both serving and stay on different bases, the service man/woman who has served the longest will pay for accomodation but their husband/wife will not.

x

ReputationRep:
    The responsibility for a child bit makes sense, im just not sure about the unmarried couples bit. How could you prove you were in a long term relationship?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've been through this myself recently. You can apply for a surplus quarter, but you can't co-habit if you get one. There are obviously some tucked away places where things are 'allowed' to happen, but the rule is you won't be allowed to co-habit unless married or in a civil partnership.
    It is quite rare these days for a single type to get a surplus quarter anyway - but you can try.
    Also - the child thing isn't a definite quarter - you have to have certain minimum access rights, responsibilities for the child.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    At most bases unmarried couples can apply for quarters. If they get quarters great. But if a married couple come along you are given 8 weeks notice to leave.
    Wrong; as Prostacker says, you can't cohabit. As a singlie, you can occupy a surplus quarter, but you absolutely cannot move your partner in.

OP, I think your source is wrong. The attitude has always been that you need to be in a legal partnership, and even if you're gay you have to be in a registered, legal civil partnership; there's no "recognising homosexual relationships," just civil partnerships and marriages.

If you don't believe in marriage, then you can always opt for the civil partnership route as well. If you choose not to marry your partner, then you don't get a quarter.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by McLovin')
    How could you prove you were in a long term relationship?
    errr... by getting married or entering into a civil partnership? I'm not sure why you'd class yourself as being in a long term relationship, want to live together etc but don't feel like you'd want to formally recognise your relationship.

If you're not ready to make that step, then your relationship's obviously not yet that secure, so it makes perfect sense for the MoD to refuse to offer you a quarter.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wzz)
    If you don't believe in marriage, then you can always opt for the civil partnership route as well.
    Only if you are same-sex. Civil partnership is for gay couples only.

/pedant

ReputationRep:
    I was advised of this recently. Close friends of mine, one of whom is serving and his partner (they are not married) have applied for quarters at his new posting and the above information i gave is what they were told and they are waiting to hear back! (but were advised of the 8 weeks to move!)

When you look at the RAF website/allowances guide etc they do all state marriage or civil partnership/children specifics, bu maybe the OP is correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McLovin')
    I've heard through a source (a FS who was my Guard Commander at Cosford) that theres plan to allow Long Term partners quarters providing they can prove that they are in a long term relationships. Can anyone confirm or deny this? His reasoning seemed correct (having to recognise civil partnerships and homosexual relationships) but I wasn't sure whether it was correct.
    Its a shame they didnt have this when my husband was in the RAF. It would have saved me living in the lads barrack block for 4 months in Germany .....my husband didnt get into any bother over it either. Its a good idea though .
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    JSP464 covers all regulations to do with accommodation in all 3 services. It's not been amended recently, and it still forbids cohabitation as part of the DE-HD license to occupy. Also, it's 28 days' notice to move out for eligible but non-entitled personnel.

I would imagine any difference to this would be down to lobbying by DE-HD to fill more quarters, but being that 90% of regions have a housing shortage I can't see that being the case. Anyone serviceperson can apply for a quarter, as everyone's eligible even if not entitled, but the license I signed for a quarter a matter of a fortnight ago still prohibited cohabitation.

Stn Cdrs can do a lot through local rules, but I'm not sure about this. Singlies, yes with 28 days notice to move, unmarried cohabitees, no, unless it's literally just changed. The biggest problem would be proving what relationships are eligible and which ones aren't. If you have a child, there's undoubtedly going to be some latitude, but what's to stop 18 year old squaddies applying for quarters with the tart they've pickup up the weekend before? I don't really want my security compromised by that sort of issue.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've just read 464 again, the most recent update I've got is the Oct 2007 issue. It's still quite implicit about singlies.

9A-1 para 2 states no cohabiting, no sharing etc. Entitlement is still limited to the appropriat PStatCats that married personnel have, or those responsible for kids.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Only if you are same-sex. Civil partnership is for gay couples only.

/pedant
    Very true; I was getting myself all confused about civil marriage ceremonies. The traditional complaint from long-term partners not eligible for quarters tended to be "but we don't believe in marriage" or "we're not religious!" If you then suggest a civil ceremony, it tended to be people complaining that they couldn't afford it. A marriage license isn't very much, and you don't need to have a huge ceremony. If you want to, and have to save, then a quarter is one of the things you forfeit until you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I've just read 464 again, the most recent update I've got is the Oct 2007 issue. It's still quite implicit about singlies.

9A-1 para 2 states no cohabiting, no sharing etc. Entitlement is still limited to the appropriat PStatCats that married personnel have, or those responsible for kids.

Just out of curiosity sake as my girlfriend is going to stay in Newcastle where she is settled while I'm based at Boulmer. I'm in a long term relationship with my girlfriend. We have two young children. I'm the sole earner in our family but obviously my girlfriend is the primary care giver. Marriage is now on the cards, but not until the children are in school and she has gone back and finished university. So, we are looking at 5-7 years before marriage. Am I correct in thinking that we wouldn't be eligible for a quater?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What's your PStatCat?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Or, to hurry things up, do you meet the requirements to be in PStatCat 2?

(Original post by JSP464)
    CHAPTER 3
    ENTITLEMENT TO SFA
    SECTION I
    ENTITLED SERVICE PERSONNEL
    0301. Entitlement criteria. To be entitled to occupy SFA personnel must be:
    a. Aged 18 or over, have completed their initial training and be serving on a
    regular engagement with the UK Armed Forces, or be a Full Commitment (FC)
    Reservist as defined in single Service instructions. For those personnel under 18
    years of age the parent unit must accept responsibility for their behaviour until their
    18th birthday.
    b. In Personal status Category(PStatCat) 1, 1C, 1S or 2 as defined in Annex A
    to Chapter 1.

c. Normally have at least 6 months to serve at the station where they qualify for
    SFA.
    (Original post by JPA)
    PStat Cat 2.

Those in PStat Cat 2 will meet one of the following qualifying criteria: A member of the Armed Forces who has parental responsibility within the terms of the Children Act 1989 for a child(ren) and who satisfies all of the following conditions:

(a) Can properly be regarded as the centre and prime mover in the life of the child(ren).

(b) Provides a home where they normally live with the child(ren) except where unable to do so for reasons attributable to their service in the Armed Forces.

(c) Provides, where the child(ren) is unable to care for itself, a child carer who can look after the child(ren) during their absences attributable to their service in the Armed Forces. The child carer must not be the other natural parent of the child(ren). The other natural parent should normally only have staying access to the child(ren) for an aggregate of 56 days in any 12 month period. Staying access greater than this may render the Service person ineligible for PStat Cat2 (these restrictions on access do not apply while on recognised Unaccompanied Duty).

(d) Accepts financial responsibility for the child(ren).
    Sorry to say it, but it looks like (c) would be the stickler, as your partner has unfettered access to the children as you're not separated!

I think this falls into the category of a relationship that, in the MoD's eyes, could easily become a marriage but you're choosing not to. Does that make sense? You've got perfectly sensible reasons for not wanting to do it, but such is life.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'll put it as bluntly to all you warm fluffy non-married types as it was put to me:

If you go on ops and, God forbid, something happens to you, as far as the Armed Forces are concerned, your 'partner' doesn't exist as a spouse would. If you have kids and you are serving, you really owe it to your kids to do the adult thing and think of their future.

RAFN2B - you can apply for a quarter - fine. The response is a different thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    RAFN2B - you can apply for a quarter - fine. The response is a different thing.
    Fair point. I dont think they are expecting much with their application to be fair. but ill let you know if they do.if things have changed?

it doesnt apply to me. my partner and i will be on different bases, 2 hours apart.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Or, to hurry things up, do you meet the requirements to be in PStatCat 2?

Sorry to say it, but it looks like (c) would be the stickler, as your partner has unfettered access to the children as you're not separated!

I think this falls into the category of a relationship that, in the MoD's eyes, could easily become a marriage but you're choosing not to. Does that make sense? You've got perfectly sensible reasons for not wanting to do it, but such is life.

Yea, that makes sense. I will probably push the marriage thing anyway, just in case something were to happen while I am away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)

Also, i found out the other day that if you are both serving and stay on different bases, the service man/woman who has served the longest will pay for accomodation but their husband/wife will not.

x
    Unless those sneaky shineys have changed the rules it's not necessarily that way around. I think the choice was given to the couple, for instance:

If a (say) officer is married to a (say) cpl, then it could be that the cpl takes the MQ and the officer lives in the Mess, to save the cpl from living in a barrack block.

Or the couple may want the better house and the cpl can slum it during the week!

Both the above will point out whether the officer really loves the cpl:yep:

In both cases the accn charge would be for the house and not the SSLA.

If you are both planning to live in respective single accn, that will imply that you're both very boring and have no friends to invite for the weekend!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.