This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
close down edexcel i say!
Lost Soul
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Well it seems that the exam boards have done it again (OCR, AQA, ed excel)!

I have been landed with 5h 45mins worth of exams. I accpet that it's not ed-excels fault this time (Shock Horror!) but since that we are thrashing one exam board I might as well drag them all in.

16/06/03

AM Exams
1h 30m Central Concepts
1h 15m Unifying concepts in Biology *
1h 30m Computing 4 *
1h 30m Computing 5 *

PM Exams
2h 00m Engligh Lang & Lit 5
1h 30m D&T 4 *

That's what I was presented with when I got my exam timetable, thankfully I'm not re-taking central concepts (although I should in theory).

As a result of this I have to sit exams from 9am till 12(ish) then have a supervised lunch (urgh!) then go back to exams for the next two exams.

WHY CAN'T EXAM BOARDS TALK TO EACH OTHER!

Lost Soul
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
7 hrs 45 minutes of exams in one day, and thankfully 90 minutes you didn't elect to resit - 9 hrs 15 minutes potentially ...

That is truely shocking, and should not be allowed under any circumstances.

Edexcel haven't had a great record this session either; I've sat three Geography papers with them so far (2 AS's, and an A2), and on all three there have been errors, TWO of them have been served by erratum notices - the third paper, most recently (Unit 4: Global Challenge), had two seperate errors on in, and we NOT served by erratum notices.

Tied together with their history of impossible Prims Algorithm questions and they very soon turn in to EdexHELL.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Edexcel really does not know how to space out exams properly.

I had 6 hours of exams on Monday 9th (2 days ago) and to be kept in isolation for an hour due to clashing. It's ridiculous. They can't possibly expect students to perform at their usual potentials under such a long and stressful period.

My timetable was scheduled with the all of the exams during the AM period, so one of them had to be moved to the PM period, which was why I had to be put in insolation for that one.

A2 Eng Lang 4 (1 hr 30 mins)
A2 Eng Lang 5B (1 hr 30 mins)
A2 Foreign Lang 2 (3 hrs)

Also, why are certain AS/A2 foreign languages like French and German split into normal 3 unit short exams of an hour or so, whereas other languages like the one I'm studying are in one big unit exam of 3 hours? Absurd.

I'm glad I don't have any other exams this week (thank God I did well on P2 in Jan so I don't have to resit it this Fri), or else I would've complained to Edexcel, after 6 hours of exams on one day. I seriously did not think I performed the best that I could, although it was quite okay, that day with so much pressure and so many things to remember all at once for one day.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
for my S1 at AS level i was scopres 9/100....i took it on the chin n thought i had just cocked up. bu then i just tought about it n realise that i got rthe lowest score in the class...n had been predicted an A. so the school contacted edexcel....bout a month later we had a letter witha new stament or results informing us that the socre was....you wait for it.......
94!!!!!! well done edexcel....you can count!!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I know this isn't that big a deal, but heh, our statement of entry for edexcel chemistry exams only arrived in our school on fri, with an apology saying they "forgot". Also, the chemicals for the practicals arrived the day before, maybe to prevent cheating? but the school usually gets them a couple of weeks or a month in advance, but not this year. Also, i observed a mistake on a mod 5 question on Chromium. It said chromium reacts with excess NH3 in excess and forms a "Solution A", and you had to state the solution......wait.... Chromium doesn't react with excess NH3 therefore couldn't form a solution!!! The question should have said, "if any", but it didn't, it made you think there WAS a solution formed. Had to be an erratum. I have a feeling there will be hassle with the chem results this august....
reasonable man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've been fortunate this time, not having more than two exams in one day. However, I fail the understand how the exam boards expect those of you who have in excess of five exams a day to perform to your full potential. The unlucky ones among us have my sympathy.
fisher
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ed excel are pretty ****e but i need them for the next year, ive got a year left for my gcse's
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had two days of AS levels with 4 exams on each.
The first time i had P1 in the morning, then 3 psychology exams in the afternoon.
The 2nd time i had S1 in the morning and 3 philosophy in the afternoon (i then had 3 economics the next day- i'v never been so exhausted)

none of these exams were edexcel (maths was OCR, the rest AQA), but when it comes to timetabling it's not actually the individual board- all boards have the same subjects at the same times (me + twin both did economics at the same time, but his was OCR) they just have them the same so people are less likely to get clashes.

I'm so glad i don't do any with edexcel- except key skills which they did screw up, but i couldn't care less.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi i knew they were bad but i never knew they were that bad and lost results or never gave them back and now i am really worrying, i have recently done an exam with them and am now worried that i wont get my results or certificate etc back.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
And yet again, they have buggered up, i have just got my double performing arts results back, WRONG!!!
This would be okay if they had marked it up, but as it goes ,we have all gone down at least a mark, which brings our first year marks DOWN :-(
I dont need these results for university but a lot of my friends do and they have not got in to there first choices because of this, if ed excel cant do there job properly then why should they still be allowed to continue marking exams? i agree that ed excel need to be closed down!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I expected 95 - 100 on all my maths modules this year. Ended up with low 70's. *sigh* the silly thing is I'll never know if it's because I messed the exams up or because they messed up the marking. Considering its edexcel (or edexhell as the new trend goes), it seems possible. I've been crying bout my maths result, and if its really them at fault.... they've messed up my whole holiday and the next year for me because my parents have put me on a 6-hours-a-day maths routine :mad: :eek:
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
last year i had 9 hours of exams scheduled for 1 day but as much as i would like to blame edexcel i can't. The government decided that modules of one subject should be on the same day to stop clashes and apparently to give us less stress. Also most of the major exams are scheduled at the same time forall the boards so it isn't just edexcels decision in timetabling. Fortunately last year they split it so i had 6 hous on 1 day and then the other 3 the next. I was going to have to saty round a teachers but apparently theunios banned it and it and i was allowed to stay at home although not use phone or internet etc.
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I expected 95 - 100 on all my maths modules this year. Ended up with low 70's. *sigh* the silly thing is I'll never know if it's because I messed the exams up or because they messed up the marking. Considering its edexcel (or edexhell as the new trend goes), it seems possible. I've been crying bout my maths result, and if its really them at fault.... they've messed up my whole holiday and the next year for me because my parents have put me on a 6-hours-a-day maths routine :mad: :eek:
You can get a photocopy of your marked script for something like £7 so you can check through and see if its wrong. Unfortunately what usually happens when i got bad results is my script is littered with silly errors that could have been avoided if I'd been more careful. I would suggest resitting all 3 AS units if you're unhappy with them cos god the A2 ones get hard
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
close down edexcel i say!
Questions are too much for so little exam time ! [human biology paper 1]
must we go so in dept for ordinary level biology?
Why do you mark so hard?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads