The Student Room Group

Pre-settled -> Settled Status

Dear SFE,

I am currently applying for RIBA Part 2 Master's Degree which qualifies for undergraduate funding. As a holder of per-settled status, I am only eligible for a Migrant Status Maintenance Loan. However, I moved to the UK in July 2018 and will be eligible for settled status before the first day of my course (1 Sep 2023) which I can prove with my NiN letter dated 28 Aug 2018. Considering that the Home Office takes time to review any immigration applications it is unlikely that I will actually get my settled status on time (considering I can only apply in August 2023).

My questions are:
Should I apply as an EU student and migrant worker?
Can I change my funding from per-settled to settled status after the Home Office reviews my application?

I found this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6059550
In which Duncan from SFE said:
'In order to apply for Student Finance with settled status, you need to have been in the UK for 5 years before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course. This means you can't transition through the course and if you wished to continue receiving a maintenance loan, you'd need to continue working while studying.'

In my case I will be in the UK for 5 years before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of my course, I just won't have my settled status on time. What in that case?
Original post by Daniel_MIJ
Dear SFE,

I am currently applying for RIBA Part 2 Master's Degree which qualifies for undergraduate funding. As a holder of per-settled status, I am only eligible for a Migrant Status Maintenance Loan. However, I moved to the UK in July 2018 and will be eligible for settled status before the first day of my course (1 Sep 2023) which I can prove with my NiN letter dated 28 Aug 2018. Considering that the Home Office takes time to review any immigration applications it is unlikely that I will actually get my settled status on time (considering I can only apply in August 2023).

My questions are:
Should I apply as an EU student and migrant worker?
Can I change my funding from per-settled to settled status after the Home Office reviews my application?

I found this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6059550
In which Duncan from SFE said:
'In order to apply for Student Finance with settled status, you need to have been in the UK for 5 years before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course. This means you can't transition through the course and if you wished to continue receiving a maintenance loan, you'd need to continue working while studying.'

In my case I will be in the UK for 5 years before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of my course, I just won't have my settled status on time. What in that case?

Hi there,

To clarify, the 5 year residency rule referenced above applies to students starting a course prior to the 21/2 academic year, from this year onwards the brexit changes came into effect.

This means EU Nationals will need to hold EU Pre Settled or Settled Status prior to applying.

If you will hold pre settled status when your course starts you can apply for EU Tuition Fee loan or EU Migrant Worker funding. Then, when you gain Settled Status, you can reapply for funding as a home student. It is possible to transfer from EU/Migrant Worker funding to Home Student funding during the academic year.

Hope this helps,
Tina
Reply 2
Right, that sounds really positive

But just to double check I understood right.

If I apply for funding with pre-settled status before the first day of the academic year and get it, I can re-apply during the duration of the same academic year to change my funding basis to Home Student provided my status changed to settled (even if my status changed after the 1st day of the 1st academic year). Right?

Sorry, but my current understanding of guidance on the website tells me that basically if I don't have settled status before 1st day of 1st year I can't change to Home Student at all during my studies which would really complicate my situation. Hence, I hope I am wrong here, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Original post by Daniel_MIJ
Right, that sounds really positive

But just to double check I understood right.

If I apply for funding with pre-settled status before the first day of the academic year and get it, I can re-apply during the duration of the same academic year to change my funding basis to Home Student provided my status changed to settled (even if my status changed after the 1st day of the 1st academic year). Right?

Sorry, but my current understanding of guidance on the website tells me that basically if I don't have settled status before 1st day of 1st year I can't change to Home Student at all during my studies which would really complicate my situation. Hence, I hope I am wrong here, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Daniel,

There are some different sets of guidance which can cause confusion. For example students who are not UK or EU nationals and are from the Rest of the World are not able to change status during the academic year, however, EU nationals granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme after previously holding pre settled status are able to make the transition as this falls under 'Event' regulations.

When the change happens can affect how much funding you are awarded as a home student however, for example if you are granted settled status within 3 months of the start of the academic year, you will be able to apply for full tuition fee loan, but maintenance loan for subsequent terms only.

Thanks,
Tina

Quick Reply

Latest