The Student Room Group

I want to study geography at uni but I got a 7 from it at GCSE

I want to apply to Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Kings for Geography but at GCSE I got a 7 from geography. The test of my grades are 8s and 9s. Do you think I have chances?
Reply 1
Of course, a 7 at GCSE geography is a grade from one or two exams you did, they do not define your worth or overall ability as a potential geographer. I am sure you will be fine, and the rest of your grades are excellent! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
There's no harm in applying, as long as you're doing A Level Geography now! If I were you, I'd choose a fifth uni you like with lower entry requirements, as I'd expect the ones you've listed have high requirements, so it would be good to choose a uni with grade requirements that you are working above!
Original post by szumi1
I want to apply to Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Kings for Geography but at GCSE I got a 7 from geography. The test of my grades are 8s and 9s. Do you think I have chances?

You still have solid chances. Things like admissions tests, A level predicted grades and your personal statement will matter more than your GCSE grades.

Besides, a GCSE grade 7 is still a good result. It’s not like you’ll suddenly get rejected for having one grade that isn’t treated as an old GCSE A* by most uni admissions teams.
Reply 4
Original post by szumi1

Sure you have a chance. I also took geography at A-level despite getting a 7 in GCSE and managed to achieve an A. A 7 is still a fantastic grade all you got to do is focus on those A-levels and make sure you meet/exceed other entry requirements.
Original post by szumi1

Heya!
I believe you should be fine so don't worry too much :h: I would recommend checking what the entry requirements are on the unis pages. Usually, unis make a-levels more important than GCSEs + usually asking for 5 and 6 for maths and english GCSE.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest