The Student Room Group

Mathematics - Imperial or Warwick

I’ll try to be concise, as I know this is a hit of a FAQ.

I am on a gap year and have achieved the necessary grades. I already hold an unconditional for Warwick and have applied for Cambridge too (waiting for response). I did not do the MAT for Imperial, meaning I would have a STEP offer. Cambridge will be my firm if I get an offer. I am interested in Quantitative Finance mainly, but also am keen on being an entrepreneur potentially at some stage, meaning connections are important. I understand that quant roles straight from undergraduate are reserved for a select few unis (one such being Cambridge - I have stalked quite a few LinkedIns to confirm this :biggrin:).

Here are my points for each, any missed points or advice on valuing each argument is much appreciated.

Warwick:

- Cheaper
- More freedom in module choices (can tailor module choices to certain career paths e.g. coding or econometric modules for quantitative finance)
- Better mental wellbeing (at least from what I’ve heard, most Imperial students are somewhat depressed)
- Very nice building, especially compared to Imperials
- No STEP needed for entry (I can focus on building other skills on the remainder of my gap year)
- Has non-stem students too and a better gender ratio

Imperial:

- Marginally better professional reputation (could be the edge to get a quant role from undergrad)
- Location (Both for ‘uni life’ and professional opportunities)
- Generally harder to get into (More people to network with)
- Has some great variations of ‘Maths’ - The Msc has an optional year abroad INCLUDED in the 4 years at other institutions such as MIT (good for connections/potential foreign employment), some joint Maths honours have work experience included in the 4 years etc
- Better reputed internationally for postgraduate education and employment
- If I get a Cambridge offer, I’ll be taking STEP anyways

Thank you so much for reading :biggrin: I wish everyone a happy new year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by crashcody

I am on a gap year and have achieved the necessary grades. I already hold an unconditional for Warwick and have applied for Cambridge too (waiting for response). I did not do the MAT for Imperial, meaning I would have a STEP offer. Cambridge will be my firm if I get an offer. I am interested in Quantitative Finance mainly, but also am keen on being an entrepreneur potentially at some stage, meaning connections are important. I understand that quant roles straight from undergraduate are reserved for a select few unis (one such being Cambridge - I have stalked quite a few LinkedIns to confirm this :biggrin:).

Here are my points for each, any missed points or advice on valuing each argument is much appreciated.

Warwick:

- Cheaper
- More freedom in module choices (can tailor module choices to certain career paths e.g. coding or econometric modules for quantitative finance)
- Better mental wellbeing (at least from what I’ve heard, most Imperial students are somewhat depressed)
- No STEP needed for entry (I can focus on building other skills on the remainder of my gap year)

Imperial:

- Marginally better professional reputation (could be the edge to get a quant role from undergrad)
- Has some great variations of ‘Maths’ - The Msc has an optional year abroad INCLUDED in the 4 years at other institutions such as MIT (good for connections/potential foreign employment), some joint Maths honours have work experience included in the 4 years etc

Anywhere but Imperial - it's toxic and not better than Warwick for Maths, What are you doing in your gapyear to keep your Maths going?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Anywhere but Imperial - it's toxic and not better than Warwick for Maths, What are you doing in your gapyear to keep your Maths going?

I was studying for TMUA, then STEP foundation papers for Camb interview, currently recapping Further Maths to set a foundation for STEP.
I was studying for TMUA, then STEP foundation papers for Camb interview, currently recapping Further Maths to set a foundation for STEP.

Oh, did Cambridge not expect more than that in your gap? No new maths reading or ....
Where else have you looked at/applied? Have you considered Uni of Nottingham for maths?
Reply 5
Oh, did Cambridge not expect more than that in your gap? No new maths reading or ....

I’ve read some books, but only a few. My main ‘thing’ has been a technology workplace internship, but it doesn’t directly relate to Maths that much.
Reply 6
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Where else have you looked at/applied? Have you considered Uni of Nottingham for maths?

I applied for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and Birmingham. I did consider Nottingham, but was stuck between it or Birmingham, and I chose the later.
I applied for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and Birmingham. I did consider Nottingham, but was stuck between it or Birmingham, and I chose the later.

LSE for Maths? Its not better than Bath or Warwick or several others.
They're both amazing universities for maths, just pick which one you personally like more (I would ignore factors like prestige in this situation)
Reply 9
LSE for Maths? Its not better than Bath or Warwick or several others.

Yes, I know, made a mistake with that choice.
Yes, I know, made a mistake with that choice.

Stick wth Warwick ...

Warwick:

- Cheaper

Imperial:

You said you want to get into finance so going to either one of Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE and UCL will be good for you.

Quick Reply

Latest