The Student Room Group

EU National, Settled Status & Home Fees

Good day and happy Holidays!

I would really appreciate some guidance please:

I'm a EU National (Greek Citizen) and I have obtained Settled Status under EUSS.

I'm currently in the process of applying into UK Universities for a course (BSc Economics) starting in Sept 2023.

A few of these Universities have already sent me an offer along with a FSQ (Fee Status Questionnaire) to be completed in order to assess my eligilibility for Home Fees.

Being a IB student, in the last three years I have spent most of my time in Greece (necessary in order to attend my school) thus my permanent residence is in Greece, where I live with my family.
We also have a UK house where we stay during our frequent visits in London that can be considered as ordinary residence (tenancy agreement in place), nevetheless we have spent most of the last three years before the start of my course in EU/EEA and not in the UK.

I'm really confused in regards to my eligibility for home fees. There is a bit of contradictory information in various sources (UCAS official site, UK Government, Dept of Education, Universities' web pages).

Some, define the following conditions regarding Home Fees Eligibility:

- Settled or pre-settled status awarded under the EU Settlement Scheme.
- Being ordinarily resident in the UK (settled status) or the EEA/EU (pre-settled status) for the three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.
- Being ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.

Nevertheless, in UCAS's official latest/updated version (https://ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf), in page 60, reference is made to the eligibility for Home Fees for those with Settled or pre-settled Status, provided they meet the following criteria:

(a) on the first day of the academic year you are paying fees for, you must be a ‘person with
protected rights (settled or pre-settled)’

b) (i) You are an EU national on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

(c) a three-year residence test is met.
(i) You meet the three-year residence test yourself. You will meet the test yourself if:
you have been ordinarily resident in the UK / EEA / Switzerland / overseas territories
(these include Gibraltar) for the full three-year period before the first day of the first
academic year of the course; (Education/school can still meet the main purpose if you would have been in the EEA irrispectively)

My question is the following: Is an EU national with Settled Status, who has spent most of the last three years in EEA eligible for Home Fees?

Many thanks in advance.

Happy New Year to all & Good luck to all applicants.

Regards
Mike
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Piraeus_Greece
Good day and happy Holidays!

I would really appreciate some guidance please:

I'm a EU National (Greek Citizen) and I have obtained Settled Status under EUSS.

I'm currently in the process of applying into UK Universities for a course (BSc Economics) starting in Sept 2023.

A few of these Universities have already sent me an offer along with a FSQ (Fee Status Questionnaire) to be completed in order to assess my eligilibility for Home Fees.

Being a IB student, in the last three years I have spent most of my time in Greece (necessary in order to attend my school) thus my permanent residence is in Greece, where I live with my family.
We also have a UK house where we stay during our frequent visits in London that can be considered as ordinary residence (tenancy agreement in place), nevetheless we have spent most of the last three years before the start of my course in EU/EEA and not in the UK.

I'm really confused in regards to my eligibility for home fees. There is a bit of contradictory information in various sources (UCAS official site, UK Government, Dept of Education, Universities' web pages).

Some, define the following conditions regarding Home Fees Eligibility:

- Settled or pre-settled status awarded under the EU Settlement Scheme.
- Being ordinarily resident in the UK (settled status) or the EEA/EU (pre-settled status) for the three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.
- Being ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.

Nevertheless, in UCAS's official latest/updated version (https://ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf), in page 60, reference is made to the eligibility for Home Fees for those with Settled or pre-settled Status, provided they meet the following criteria:

(a) on the first day of the academic year you are paying fees for, you must be a ‘person with
protected rights (settled or pre-settled)’

b) (i) You are an EU national on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

(c) a three-year residence test is met.
(i) You meet the three-year residence test yourself. You will meet the test yourself if:
you have been ordinarily resident in the UK / EEA / Switzerland / overseas territories
(these include Gibraltar) for the full three-year period before the first day of the first
academic year of the course; (Education/school can still meet the main purpose if you would have been in the EEA irrispectively)

My question is the following: Is an EU national with Settled Status, who has spent most of the last three years in EEA eligible for Home Fees?

Many thanks in advance.

Happy New Year to all & Good luck to all applicants.

Regards
Mike

Hi there,

To be eligible to apply for both Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan, students need to meet the 3 years residency in the UK criteria, however EU students with EU Settled Status should be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee loan and as such, home fee status with the University, where they have been resident within the EU/EAA in the 3 years prior to the course.

Hope this helps,
Tina
Dear Tina,

Many thanks for your reply which is clear & very helpful.

Happy New Year!

Regards
Mike
Original post by Piraeus_Greece
Dear Tina,

Many thanks for your reply which is clear & very helpful.

Happy New Year!

Regards
Mike

You're welcome. :smile:

Take care and all the best for 2023.

Tina

Quick Reply

Latest