The Student Room Group

I've been conned from £300

So these guys were legit and gave me proof there is a WhatsApp group and they do 100 per cent accurate bets they gave me the heads I

I was told to join by the boss, make a £300 payment, however do it on coinbase, buy and sell as a fee.

I've done everything and the boss did not make me join the group. I've got his WhatsApp number. He isn't joining me in the group now.

The thing is he used to work for betting sites and he gets he's tips.

I've been conned and I think they kept the real fee of £550 disguised. They make £2k profit a day.

I've contacted my bank for a refund while payment is still pending on Halifax, there is no cancel payment button however I've informed Halifax

I've got his WhatsApp number, I don't know if what they're doing is wrong and if I'll get into trouble knowing illegal bets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're not legit, they're not making thousands through bets, they're making thousands from marks like you who think they can buy their way into a get rich quick scheme.

Your money is almost certainly gone after you threw it into coinbase, I would chalk this up to a very expensive life lesson.
Last time it was £106 according to
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7299494#post97933238

So is this the same case or have you been taken in again??? Whether it's one or two instances, you have been incredibly gullible.
Those type of people are NEVER legit. They only want your money.
Reply 4
It's a different case.

It was pending status and my bank says I need to contact the merchant for a refund.

Then the bank will issue me the refund.

He contacted me saying he is a criminal and all of his money is in bitcoin. He says he cannot do PayPal because of limits and if he refunds using bank transfer I'll go prison. He says he wishes it was simple.

I only signed up to the fee, I did not get any games, did not profit, neither do I wish too.

He goes after the £300 fee, the real fee is £550, the boss used to work for betting sites and the fee goes to the people who makes those virtuals.

He does this for a living.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Drumx7
It's a different case.

It was pending status and my bank says I need to contact the merchant for a refund.

He contacted me saying he is a criminal and all of his money is in bitcoin. He says he cannot do PayPal because of limits and if he refunds using bank transfer I'll go prison. He says he wishes it was simple.

I only signed up to the fee, I did not get any games, did not profit, neither do I wish too.

He goes after the £300 fee, the real fee is £550, the boss used to work for betting sites and the fee goes to the people who makes those virtuals.

Have you considered that this career criminal is lying to you once again?
Original post by Drumx7

He doesn't. He cons people like you for a living. Repeatedly, it seems.
Original post by Drumx7
It's a different case.

I am frankly incredulous that you have fallen for this not once but twice.
Reply 8
They seemed genuine posting fixed bets on a WhatsApp group.

I needed to earn extra income and that's why I have it.
Original post by Drumx7
So these guys were legit and gave me proof there is a WhatsApp group and they do 100 per cent accurate bets they gave me the heads I

I was told to join by the boss, make a £300 payment, however do it on coinbase, buy and sell as a fee.

I've done everything and the boss did not make me join the group. I've got his WhatsApp number. He isn't joining me in the group now.

The thing is he used to work for betting sites and he gets he's tips.

I've been conned and I think they kept the real fee of £550 disguised. They make £2k profit a day.

I've contacted my bank for a refund while payment is still pending on Halifax, there is no cancel payment button however I've informed Halifax

I've got his WhatsApp number, I don't know if what they're doing is wrong and if I'll get into trouble knowing illegal bets

I think the lesson here is that betting is a mug's game. I know people like to bet to get even more money than they already have, but you're risking money too. I'd get out of the betting game completely and look for more honest ways to make more money. These scams and cons should tell you that legitimacy is harder to find that you think.
"I've been conned from £300"

I bet I know who posted this... yup

All these schemes you go for are utter rip off tosh. WHY WOULD ANYONE WITH 100% ACCURATE BETS NEED YO0UR MONEY!?!
Original post by Drumx7
It's a different case.

Yep, v conned, legit people don't need coinbase to take payments, (who will almost certainly not refund you, not their problem, their part of the transaction was completed) And there is not and will never be a 'cancel previous card payment' button, I mean, 'duh'

Do you ever meet or check out any of these people? or do you just take every preposterous thing they say on whatsapp at face value? do you have 1 bit of proof where they worked or who they are?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Drumx7
They seemed genuine posting fixed bets on a WhatsApp group.

I needed to earn extra income and that's why I have it.

Well they're not going to be able to dupe people if they don't seem genuine. Put this one down to a learning experience, and consider more established sources of income like actual jobs.
Reply 14
Original post by StriderHort
Yep, v conned, legit people don't need coinbase to take payments, (who will almost certainly not refund you, not their problem, their part of the transaction was completed) And there is not and will never be a 'cancel previous card payment' button, I mean, 'duh'

Do you ever meet or check out any of these people? or do you just take every preposterous thing they say on whatsapp at face value? do you have 1 bit of proof where they worked or who they are?

Yes they did screenshot their wins and they posted on WhatsApp and gave me trial.

However one of the guys the boss worked for betting sites and gives money to the people who make them.

I haven't got anything, they didn't give me games and I didn't profit.
Reply 15
Original post by Drumx7
Yes they did screenshot their wins and they posted on WhatsApp and gave me trial.

However one of the guys the boss worked for betting sites and gives money to the people who make them.

They have screenshots manufactured to look like wins to sucker you into paying for a non-existent system. Getting impressionable kids, pensioners and other marks who don't know better to make an irreversible and difficult to trace payment is the system.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Drumx7

So yes, you know nothing about them beyond what digital fabrications they wanted you to see? It's all crap, do you have any lingering thought these people are telling you any truth or have any interest in talking to you further unless you sucker up and pay them more?

Why did you ever think this would be legit? that such a sure betting thing ever legitimately existed? and the important bit, if it did, why do they want your money? this is the crucial part you don't seem to be understanding. If I could place winning bets at will, I'd be giving people the money and tips? why on earth would I care about their poxy £300?

This scam is little different to 'We have 50000m Pound Dollars for you abroad, but for various obvious nonsense, you need to pay £300 to us first.in a way you can't reverse in any way' They are counting on you being too blinded by your greed to question the logic.
Reply 17
Original post by StriderHort
So yes, you know nothing about them beyond what digital fabrications they wanted you to see? It's all crap, do you have any lingering thought these people are telling you any truth or have any interest in talking to you further unless you sucker up and pay them more?

Why did you ever think this would be legit? that such a sure betting thing ever legitimately existed? and the important bit, if it did, why do they want your money? this is the crucial part you don't seem to be understanding. If I could place winning bets at will, I'd be giving people the money and tips? why on earth would I care about their poxy £300?

This scam is little different to 'We have 50000m Pound Dollars for you abroad, but for various obvious nonsense, you need to pay £300 to us first.in a way you can't reverse in any way' They are counting on you being too blinded by your greed to question the logic.

They told me to look at the event without me joining the group.

Then their whatsapp group had people who say win and screenshot the score.

The boss used to work for betting sites and he goes the fee goes to the people who make the virtuals.

Then other members contacted me asking me if I could sell my account.

I do go, if you earn thousands a day, why can't you refund using PayPal or bank transfer, he goes i will go to prison. Its just £300.

To join really it's £550 and another member gave £130 towards the fee and another admin goes just pay £80 and it's done.

Then the boss goes give me my betting account and I'll see profits and I'd get my money back.

I didn't get any games, neither did I profit from any games. I didn't profit so I hope I don't get into any trouble. I knew it was illegal, I did not profit and I've blocked them. They know my name and number.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Now he's contacted me again

Could I get into trouble?

The second admin goes if I give £80 I'll get my money back and earn £1k

He said he swears on his mother, son life and please give him one chance, it's protocol.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Drumx7
They told me to look at the event without me joining the group.

Then their whatsapp group had people who say win and screenshot the score.

The boss used to work for betting sites and he goes the fee goes to the people who make the virtuals.

Then other members contacted me asking me if I could sell my account.

I do go, if you earn thousands a day, why can't you refund using PayPal or bank transfer, he goes i will go to prison. Its just £300.

To join really it's £550 and another member gave £130 towards the fee and another admin goes just pay £80 and it's done.

Then the boss goes give me my betting account and I'll see profits.

I didn't get any ges, neither did I profit from any games. I didn't profit so I hope I don't get into any trouble.

I'm kind of getting the impression that every person in this story is the same scammer/related. Handy how the other accounts you don't know show you wins, help you out... make it easy and positive for you to move to paying for your bargain to snap it up. (DANGER!) When they talk up one predication to get your interest and trust, you know they're touting the opposite bet to another mark to try and bait them into that same scam? It's costing then 0 money or effort to throw out all these lures, any of you bite, well that's £300 plus whatever more they talk out of you 'oh your friend backed out of paying towards your membership, we need another...'

If this guy had genuine insider info or 'magic prediction' they would be a millionaire+ easy, not thousands. The idea they would have genuine interest in the hassle of taking your £300 and being in any way accountable to you is laughable. Alternatively, they plan betting heavily on the opposite, and they are conning folk you to bet otherwise and change the odds.

Given you've recently been scammed on Whatsapp, It's possible your number has been sold to a 'sucker list' as falling for these things. Even putting up on Whatsapp groups etc that you need cash is a lure to these scammers, as said, what they really want is people too desperate or greedy to think about the logic
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply