The Student Room Group

A level art for Law at top uni?

Hi, currently in y11 and looking to study Law (or maybe some other humanity degree like HIstory + Politics, PPE, etc.) at a top uni (perhaps Oxford, UCL or LSE?)

I'm pretty sure I want to do A level History and Politics, but debating over Art or Maths for my third. I know Maths makes more sense as it opens up my options more but I'm not honestly sure I'll do well in it at A level. I'm finding it bearable at gcse, and am predicted an 8, but heard it gets very very tough at a level, and I'm not naturally that good at it.

So instead I could do art, which has been a passion of mine from a young age and what I think I'm best at, therefore could score better in than Maths. I might be able to bag an A in it as I'm doing pretty decent in GCSE art; my teacher says I could get 9.

No top uni states you shouldn't do art, and I am taking 2 facilitating subjects, which I think is the min requirement for RG unis. That too they're essay based which is wanted for Law. But it seems to be a pretty competitive course, esp at top unis, so art would prob make me a weaker candidate. This factor scares me the most when it comes to LSE which seems to, on the website, rather aggressively (lol) prefer 3+ 'generally preferred' subjects. But UCL seems to have art as a preferred subject? Weird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bleepblop
Hi, currently in y11 and looking to study Law (or maybe some other humanity degree like HIstory + Politics, PPE, etc.) at a top uni (perhaps Oxford, UCL or LSE?)

I'm pretty sure I want to do A level History and Politics, but debating over Art or Maths for my third. I know Maths makes more sense as it opens up my options more but I'm not honestly sure I'll do well in it at A level. I'm finding it bearable at gcse, and am predicted an 8, but heard it gets very very tough at a level, and I'm not naturally that good at it.

So instead I could do art, which has been a passion of mine from a young age and what I think I'm best at, therefore could score better in than Maths. I might be able to bag an A in it as I'm doing pretty decent in GCSE art; my teacher says I could get 9.

No top uni states you shouldn't do art, and I am taking 2 facilitating subjects, which I think is the min requirement for RG unis. That too they're essay based which is wanted for Law. But it seems to be a pretty competitive course, esp at top unis, so art would prob make me a weaker candidate. This factor scares me the most when it comes to LSE which seems to, on the website, rather aggressively (lol) prefer 3+ 'generally preferred' subjects. But UCL seems to have art as a preferred subject? Weird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

this is a really difficult question to answer but i'll try and give it a go! it varies with universities. oxford won't actually care (in my opinion): becuase they interview their candidates, really your subjects are the least important thing in your application (your personal statement, written work and interview will be much more important) and so i don't think oxford would mind - in fact, it might make you stand out!
however, being totally honest, lse and ucl are so annoying when it comes to applications. they just have so many applicants, and they don't interview, which means that they have to find everything they can to differentiate candidates. let's say the lse application team have two completely identical applications in terms of ability, apart from one does history politics and maths, whereas the other does history politics and art. they're more likely to pick the first, because it shows more intelligence. whereas oxford doesn't care because the interview tells them almost everything they need to know about you anyway.
i can't tell you which one to pick. i'm not an admissions officer so i don't know how much what i've just said is even true! sorry, i've sort of just word vomited onto a page here with my opinions and haven't really helped lol.
Reply 2
Original post by pkchan
this is a really difficult question to answer but i'll try and give it a go! it varies with universities. oxford won't actually care (in my opinion): becuase they interview their candidates, really your subjects are the least important thing in your application (your personal statement, written work and interview will be much more important) and so i don't think oxford would mind - in fact, it might make you stand out!
however, being totally honest, lse and ucl are so annoying when it comes to applications. they just have so many applicants, and they don't interview, which means that they have to find everything they can to differentiate candidates. let's say the lse application team have two completely identical applications in terms of ability, apart from one does history politics and maths, whereas the other does history politics and art. they're more likely to pick the first, because it shows more intelligence. whereas oxford doesn't care because the interview tells them almost everything they need to know about you anyway.
i can't tell you which one to pick. i'm not an admissions officer so i don't know how much what i've just said is even true! sorry, i've sort of just word vomited onto a page here with my opinions and haven't really helped lol.

Thank you so much!
For Law there are no required A level subjects - you just need three high grades. For other Humanities and Social Sciences, Unis usually only specify one subject or just 'an essay based subject' etc.

Have a look through the degree courses on this list - and look at the entry requirements for the subjects that appeal to you. If its just stated as three grades, then there are no required subjects - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/

Quick Reply

Latest