The Student Room Group

Is Art & Design a different subject to Fine Art?

I'm confused as to if it's a different subject (for GCSE and A-level) or if it's just the collective term for fine art and photography? Because when I look up stuff about GCSE fine art it always comes up with art and design but it looks like the same thing just with a different name
Reply 1
For gcse art and design normally refers to fine art (if that's the only thing it says). Other subjects do fall under the name arts and design but they will specifically tell you that its Photography, DT or textiles. But thats only for gcse im not sure about a levels but it should be the same. So to answer your question if it just says arts and design it's probably just fine art
GCSE and A-Level Art and Design is divided into different subjects, for instance:
Art and Design (Fine Art)
Art and Design (Art, Craft and Design)
Art and Design (Photography)
Art and Design (Textile Design)
Art and Design (Graphic Communication)
Art and Design (3D Design)

So basically, Art and Design is a general term applied to all of the subjects listed above. So for example, if you do A-Level Textile Design, on results day your qualification will say ‘Art and Design (Textile Design)’.

Your question might actually refer to the difference between Fine Art and Art, Craft and Design (as these subjects are very similar and schools often refer to Art, Craft and Design as Art and Design). As I said, the differences are minimal, but Fine Art prioritises painting, drawing, installation etc (basically more traditional art forms), whereas Art, Craft and Design allows students to cover any section of Art and Design - this means students can explore fashion, interior design, illustration etc which are more design based than fine art based. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the differences between Fine Art and Art, Craft and Design; a lot of people still experiment with fashion and other less traditional art forms of the Fine Art GCSE and A-Level course.

Hope this helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by ArtHistoryFairy
GCSE and A-Level Art and Design is divided into different subjects, for instance:
Art and Design (Fine Art)
Art and Design (Art, Craft and Design)
Art and Design (Photography)
Art and Design (Textile Design)
Art and Design (Graphic Communication)
Art and Design (3D Design)

So basically, Art and Design is a general term applied to all of the subjects listed above. So for example, if you do A-Level Textile Design, on results day your qualification will say ‘Art and Design (Textile Design)’.

Your question might actually refer to the difference between Fine Art and Art, Craft and Design (as these subjects are very similar and schools often refer to Art, Craft and Design as Art and Design). As I said, the differences are minimal, but Fine Art prioritises painting, drawing, installation etc (basically more traditional art forms), whereas Art, Craft and Design allows students to cover any section of Art and Design - this means students can explore fashion, interior design, illustration etc which are more design based than fine art based. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the differences between Fine Art and Art, Craft and Design; a lot of people still experiment with fashion and other less traditional art forms of the Fine Art GCSE and A-Level course.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you! Art, craft and design sounds really fun I wish my school offered it aha

Quick Reply

Latest