Turn on thread page Beta

Carrier Bags vs Bin Liners watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference? Appart from the fact that carrier bags are/were free.

I use a carrier bag in a small bin for household waste and take it out to the wheelie bin when it's full. How is this environmentally unfriendly? Why should I be made to feel ashamed when I ask for a carrier back at the supermarket? Surely, in landfill, a plastic bag is a plastic bag? If not, why can't they make carrier bags out of the same stuff as bin liners?

ReputationRep:
    Carrier bags are smaller and we use more of them, i think they are also stronger than bin liners, but i never thought about it before. I wasn't aware they were made from different stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they are made of a different type of plastic but I find them handier and stronger.

My main question is what makes bin liners environmentally better?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get all the kerfuffle anyway...I mean, I know making plastic bags uses up resources, but they say they take thousands of years to degrade...erm, I have carrier bags in my house that are only a few years old and they've disintegrated, they fall into little pieces if you touch them!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.