The Student Room Group

higher english port folio

what are some good higher english port-folio topics? I have a creative piece but will probably do a discursive piece as well as a backup. Any suggestions on topics?
Original post by eili3m
what are some good higher english port-folio topics? I have a creative piece but will probably do a discursive piece as well as a backup. Any suggestions on topics?

Hi, I did a discursive piece last year and it was about how paper books shouldn't be replaced by e-books. I actually took an idea from this website which is full of discursive topics, so maybe something will be of interest to you:

https://ivypanda.com/blog/higher-english-persuasive-essay-topics/

I hope this helps! :smile:
If your creative piece is ok I would spend your time looking at creative piece techniques and what attracts marks. Look at how you can bring more depth to the character /setting/tone etc by using more creative techniques

Make your one creative piece stronger rather than have two pieces that are weaker.
Reply 3
that's such a handy website - i'll let my friends know about this as well. I'll end up sticking with the creative as i probably dont have time to do another one but i like having a backup plan. I just hope the creative one is alright for higher. Thanks for your help! :smile:

Original post by d1anasaur
Hi, I did a discursive piece last year and it was about how paper books shouldn't be replaced by e-books. I actually took an idea from this website which is full of discursive topics, so maybe something will be of interest to you:

https://ivypanda.com/blog/higher-english-persuasive-essay-topics/

I hope this helps! :smile:

Original post by BlackLab
If your creative piece is ok I would spend your time looking at creative piece techniques and what attracts marks. Look at how you can bring more depth to the character /setting/tone etc by using more creative techniques

Make your one creative piece stronger rather than have two pieces that are weaker.
Reply 4
Hi if u don’t mind me asking, what grade did you get on the folio
Reply 5
Original post by Sushi37
Hi if u don’t mind me asking, what grade did you get on the folio

Last year I got 28/30 for mine. :smile:
Reply 6

What websites did u use for the information and was it persuasive or discursive. I’m planning to do the same topic as I’m really into reading book and I think it’s be a great topic. Do you still have the essay if you don’t mind me just reading it. I wouldn’t copy anything knowing I’d get plagiarised I just want a rough idea of what I’m getting into
Reply 7

That’s so gd btw I’m resitting it cuz I got 18/30 last year n I did creative but now I’m so stuck on whether to do discursive or creative. What one do you think gets the higher marks?
Reply 8
Original post by Sushi37
What websites did u use for the information and was it persuasive or discursive. I’m planning to do the same topic as I’m really into reading book and I think it’s be a great topic. Do you still have the essay if you don’t mind me just reading it. I wouldn’t copy anything knowing I’d get plagiarised I just want a rough idea of what I’m getting into

It was persuasive and I would recommend looking up newspaper websites like the Guardian for any statistics or facts that you can use to back up your argument as they’re usually considered as being reputable sources. And sure! Do you possibly have Instagram so that I can send it over to you?
Reply 9
Original post by Sushi37
That’s so gd btw I’m resitting it cuz I got 18/30 last year n I did creative but now I’m so stuck on whether to do discursive or creative. What one do you think gets the higher marks?

I can’t really say which one gets you higher marks, but I personally felt more confident doing a persuasive essay so I just decided to stick to it. I would definitely suggest to go with the one you feel most confident in, see how much ideas you can jot down for each one and then it will become a lot clearer to you.
Reply 10
Hi, I was too late to write my folio essay due to personal reasons so I submitted my essay which I used for a university programme. Do you think it will matter as it’s talking about an argument backed with proof from both sides so it’s a discursive/ informative.

I just cant stop overthinking if I’ve made a mistake to hand in the same essay as I don’t know if there would be any consequences to it even though it is still my own work. Let me know
Reply 11
Original post by Sushi37
Hi, I was too late to write my folio essay due to personal reasons so I submitted my essay which I used for a university programme. Do you think it will matter as it’s talking about an argument backed with proof from both sides so it’s a discursive/ informative.

I just cant stop overthinking if I’ve made a mistake to hand in the same essay as I don’t know if there would be any consequences to it even though it is still my own work. Let me know

Have you discussed this with your teacher beforehand to make sure that it would be okay? I personally don't think there would be anything wrong with it as you're allowed to use a piece of your old work and then edit it to match the SQA's criteria. Don't worry about it too much, as long as it's your own work then it should be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest