The Student Room Group

Smarter to pay in USD or GBP? Help please!

I'm ordering something from America worth £487.26, where an exchange rate fee is already included (around £10). There is a converted option to pay $573.31 474.42), but my bank (NatWest) will charge the exchange rate fee.

I don't know much about exchange rate fees. Does the £10 fee that they already included in the GBP amount sound fine? Or would NatWest charge less? It's 2.75% of the amount according to Google but I'm not sure.

Would appreciate any help at all. Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Probably works out similar. I always just let me bank figure out the exchange rate.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably works out similar. I always just let me bank figure out the exchange rate.

Spoiler

Thank you! The import taxes and everything have already been included in the total cost. It's a bit much but I can't find this item or similar for a better price here in the UK.

I've actually just managed to figure out that it would be cheaper for me to pay in pounds. About £3 cheaper
Original post by issawrap
Thank you! The import taxes and everything have already been included in the total cost. It's a bit much but I can't find this item or similar for a better price here in the UK.

I've actually just managed to figure out that it would be cheaper for me to pay in pounds. About £3 cheaper

Which for that amount is a bit of a wash really! And I know the feeling, I had the doubly annoying experience of finding something I needed/wanted to buy from the US recently, exactly 2 days after my parent got back from being there for 3 weeks...could've saved myself a fair penny on shipping etc if I'd thought of it sooner and had it shipped domestic and brought back in a suitcase!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending