The Student Room Group

immerse education essay competition

hey has anyone entered? im doing the economics category and was just wondering as i havent heard much about it.
Original post by oikawa-
hey has anyone entered? im doing the economics category and was just wondering as i havent heard much about it.

Hi, i entered the summer competition for economics as well this year, I believe the subject was 'what role does the government play in economic growth' so I ended up winning the 10% scholarship (which meant i would end up paying £5.5 K to go which is a ridiculous amount of money) all i can say is, unless you win the 10% scholarship it ins't worth paying for. The company actually have no real affiliation with oxford , cambride etc... they just rent the facilities. If you're familiar with study youtubers like 'revishaan' who received payed promotion to attend the courses, they all agree the whole thing is not worth paying for. If you read the reviews online, some people were saying that despite attending the course for cambride they were last minute shifted to some random royal hosptial school. If you email them and find out you won 100%, or you just want to give it a go then you should but from what I've learnt I would not be paying full price for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Teamaleeza
Hi, i entered the summer competition for economics as well this year, I believe the subject was 'what role does the government play in economic growth' so I ended up winning the 10% scholarship (which meant i would end up paying £5.5 K to go which is a ridiculous amount of money) all i can say is, unless you win the 10% scholarship it ins't worth paying for. The company actually have no real affiliation with oxford , cambride etc... they just rent the facilities. If you're familiar with study youtubers like 'revishaan' who received payed promotion to attend the courses, they all agree the whole thing is not worth paying for. If you read the reviews online, some people were saying that despite attending the course for cambride they were last minute shifted to some random royal hosptial school. If you email them and find out you won 100%, or you just want to give it a go then you should but from what I've learnt I would not be paying full price for it.

Yea i've heard they have no affiliation, Im in y11 so i wanted to go to get a taste of what economics would be like at higher education as I already like it and do lots of stuff for it lol

would you mind showing me your essay? i've already handed mine but i'd love to see how you had answered it
Original post by oikawa-
Yea i've heard they have no affiliation, Im in y11 so i wanted to go to get a taste of what economics would be like at higher education as I already like it and do lots of stuff for it lol

would you mind showing me your essay? i've already handed mine but i'd love to see how you had answered it

of course, I'm not the best at writing but I had a go at the prompt - believe this essay is slighly over the limit

Explain The government’s role in managing the economy

‘What role does the government play in the economy?’, To answer this question, we must first examine what the role of the government is. This enquiry begins to divide our answer as the role of a government is not objective, but more the opposite. How much power allocated to those in charge is dependent the country’s own agenda, which regarding the economy can either be benefactive or exploitative for personal monetary gain. 1)Assuming a country is democratic, like 57% of the world’s nations and has minimal corruption, 2) its governmental role in the economy may regard: providing the legal and social framework, maintaining competition, redistributing income and general stabilization. In this essay I will be affirming the belief that the government plays a significant role in the function of the economy whilst forming my own conclusion as to whether minimal government involvement is more beneficial towards a better economic state.
3) In the last year there have been many occasions, like COVID-19, which have strikingly illustrated the intersection between politics and economics. Occasions where nations have ignored tackling situations on an internationally cooperative manner to ensure that their own industry and economy was not disrupted. A global pandemic required a global response, but instead many countries hoarded essential supplies, diverted resources from other countries and banned exports which meant that people were encouraged to purchase more locally sourced produce. Each of these measures - popular as they were to national publics imposed burdens on other countries. This, as one of many scenarios proves that when under pressure from their constituents, policy makers have the power to propel the country’s economy.
4) Arthur Pigou, former professor at Cambridge, came up with the market failure approach which, if applied to its limit, provides very few scenarios where government intervention in economic prosperity and growth isn’t possible. Though this study demonstrates the governments significant role in economic affluence, some sceptics may argue that this concept implies that governmental figures are benevolent, selfless beings who know what is best for the economy and are incapable of misallocating resources and funding. However, to rebuttal this claim, I would support the belief that the government can make mistakes whilst also understand that people in power, though are self-interested individuals, always try to maximise their utility which pleases the population enough to keep them in power. There is no reason why politicians don’t want economic growth, which means that they’re always going to find better incentives to ensure this. In conclusion, the government indefinitely plays a fundamental role in managing the economy because ensuring viability in the economy is important for public satisfaction; and in maintaining this, they optimize their development as a country.
To end my essay, I would like to disclose my findings as to whether the role that the government play for the economy is advantageous on a national scale. Though there are countries high on the index of economic freedom like Hong Kong, Singapore, and Chile, despite having a free economy they also subject their population to deep income divisions and macro-economic instability. In conclusion, the government play a key role in the growth of the economy and though heavy involvement is discouraged, some intervention is key for obtaining stability.
1) (Pew Research )
2) (civics and government: focus on economics)
3) covid vs the economy
4) the theory of externalities

Bibliography:
Study: Pigou, Arthur. ‘The theory of Externalities’, The economics of welfare 1920
Reply 4
of course, I'm not the best at writing but I had a go at the prompt - believe this essay is slighly over the limit

Explain The government’s role in managing the economy

‘What role does the government play in the economy?’, To answer this question, we must first examine what the role of the government is. This enquiry begins to divide our answer as the role of a government is not objective, but more the opposite. How much power allocated to those in charge is dependent the country’s own agenda, which regarding the economy can either be benefactive or exploitative for personal monetary gain. 1)Assuming a country is democratic, like 57% of the world’s nations and has minimal corruption, 2) its governmental role in the economy may regard: providing the legal and social framework, maintaining competition, redistributing income and general stabilization. In this essay I will be affirming the belief that the government plays a significant role in the function of the economy whilst forming my own conclusion as to whether minimal government involvement is more beneficial towards a better economic state.
3) In the last year there have been many occasions, like COVID-19, which have strikingly illustrated the intersection between politics and economics. Occasions where nations have ignored tackling situations on an internationally cooperative manner to ensure that their own industry and economy was not disrupted. A global pandemic required a global response, but instead many countries hoarded essential supplies, diverted resources from other countries and banned exports which meant that people were encouraged to purchase more locally sourced produce. Each of these measures - popular as they were to national publics imposed burdens on other countries. This, as one of many scenarios proves that when under pressure from their constituents, policy makers have the power to propel the country’s economy.
4) Arthur Pigou, former professor at Cambridge, came up with the market failure approach which, if applied to its limit, provides very few scenarios where government intervention in economic prosperity and growth isn’t possible. Though this study demonstrates the governments significant role in economic affluence, some sceptics may argue that this concept implies that governmental figures are benevolent, selfless beings who know what is best for the economy and are incapable of misallocating resources and funding. However, to rebuttal this claim, I would support the belief that the government can make mistakes whilst also understand that people in power, though are self-interested individuals, always try to maximise their utility which pleases the population enough to keep them in power. There is no reason why politicians don’t want economic growth, which means that they’re always going to find better incentives to ensure this. In conclusion, the government indefinitely plays a fundamental role in managing the economy because ensuring viability in the economy is important for public satisfaction; and in maintaining this, they optimize their development as a country.
To end my essay, I would like to disclose my findings as to whether the role that the government play for the economy is advantageous on a national scale. Though there are countries high on the index of economic freedom like Hong Kong, Singapore, and Chile, despite having a free economy they also subject their population to deep income divisions and macro-economic instability. In conclusion, the government play a key role in the growth of the economy and though heavy involvement is discouraged, some intervention is key for obtaining stability.
1) (Pew Research )
2) (civics and government: focus on economics)
3) covid vs the economy
4) the theory of externalities

Bibliography:
Study: Pigou, Arthur. ‘The theory of Externalities’, The economics of welfare 1920

wow! thats a very good piece of writing no joke
the word limit was cruel i had to reread mine to try and discard any unnecessary words haha i also mentioned covid like you did but my whole essay was on the premise of exploring different governmental responses to covid 19 i did chinese and british and discussed why the outcome differed

Hey! Even I entered the essay competition this year for economics but how did you get your results so early? The results were to be announced by feb right?
Reply 6
Original post by Aishwarya0005
Hey! Even I entered the essay competition this year for economics but how did you get your results so early? The results were to be announced by feb right?

they entered the summer competition, we entered the winter one ^^ immerse runs it 2x a year
Original post by oikawa-
wow! thats a very good piece of writing no joke
the word limit was cruel i had to reread mine to try and discard any unnecessary words haha i also mentioned covid like you did but my whole essay was on the premise of exploring different governmental responses to covid 19 i did chinese and british and discussed why the outcome differed

thank you, I agree! the word count meant i was very limited in terms of only representing one perspective. Did you know they give out free discounts without the scholarship too? they sent me an email saying i could claim a 15% discount on their online course (that's more than i won in the essay competition which is ridiculous) so if you want an additional discount, it might help signing up to their email

Quick Reply

Latest