The Student Room Group

Can you do A levels at 18+

I am 16 at the moment, and i am thinking of quitting my a level english bio and chem, and doing hair as i have a passion for it. however i am an extremely indecisive person and i am scared i will regret quitting sixth form once i leave. Does anyone know if i can return back to sixth form in the future and do A levels again?
After you turn 18 you usually do something called a Access To HE diploma which is a 1 year course that is A-level equivalent, most people who do this course primarily use it as a stepping stone to getting to university.

I did my GCSE’s and left school but went to college a few years later to study this and I am now at university
Sixth forms will only receive funding for 16-19 year olds. So you essentially have three years within which to take your A Levels at sixth form.

After that, if you want A Levels, you're looking at self studying, and paying to enter yourself for exams as a private candidate.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bella787
I am 16 at the moment, and i am thinking of quitting my a level english bio and chem, and doing hair as i have a passion for it. however i am an extremely indecisive person and i am scared i will regret quitting sixth form once i leave. Does anyone know if i can return back to sixth form in the future and do A levels again?

As mentioned above, an Access to Higher Education Diploma is a one-year course that prepares you for study at university in place of A levels. So if you drop out of sixth form now, but later decide you want to go to uni, then this is a good option. There are fees involved but loans are available. More info on this site:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access/about-the-diploma/fees-funding
Original post by bella787

Yes you can! I'm 24 and doing A-levels :P

I don't think you'd usually be allowed to go back to school once you're older (could be wrong on this though, I don't know a ton about the UK school system) but you can do them at any age with distance learning providers or adult education colleges, you will usually have to pay for them which is something to bear in mind, although a lot of places have various discounts if you're receiving benefits, working in or using the qualifications for entry to a particular sector etc. Mine (3 subjects with science practicals, 20% NHS discount) cost about £3,000 which I'm paying on a 12-month payment plan.

There's also the Access to HE Diploma as other people have mentioned, and various industry-specific qualifications, plus apprenticeships etc, it all depends on what you want to do and A-levels are definitely not the only option!

Do what you're passionate about, it's what you're gonna be doing everyday for a long time, it needs to be something you enjoy. If you do end up changing your mind later that's ok too, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having two (or more) careers during your life as your interests change. I'm going to uni next year to retrain after 6 years in a different field, absolutely no regrets, it all just adds to your life and your skills. And you'll do a lot better in your A-levels/other qualification if you do them later with the motivation of needing them for a career goal than if you do them now while you're wanting to do something else and not really motivated. Plus you can pick the most useful subjects for what you want to do later at that point.
(edited 1 year ago)
(Original post by bella787)I am 16 at the moment, and i am thinking of quitting my a level english bio and chem, and doing hair as i have a passion for it. however i am an extremely indecisive person and i am scared i will regret quitting sixth form once i leave. Does anyone know if i can return back to sixth form in the future and do A levels again?

Once you leave education you can't really go back in without paying or getting a loan to pay unless you return while still being under the age of 18. That's what I was told when I had a question simular to that.

Quick Reply

Latest