The Student Room Group

Genital Herpes

I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes while I have always had protected sex. I'm quite stressed about it to a point that I considered ending it all at some point.

I have read about it a lot online and I found out by myself that this thing has no cure meaning that I will have it for life. I'm literally very confused on what to do now and how to face it.

The doctor just mentioned to me that it is a small thing and gave me some medicine (acyclovir) to treat the outbreak. She did not mention to me that I will have it for life.

I just want to know if there is anyone here with the same issue and how they are coping with it. Maybe this will be helpful since I'm literally very confused at the moment. Thanks!
Try not to worry. Whilst you will carry the virus for life you will not be infectious for life. Lots of people carry herpes viruses (coldsores).

As long as you don't have blisters then you should be fine and of practically no risk of transmitting infection.

Try and stay healthy and avoid stress (as they are factors that suppress the immune system and allow the virus to come back)

[World health org says half a BILLION people are carriers - you are a long way from being alone]
Original post by Apachecow
Try not to worry. Whilst you will carry the virus for life you will not be infectious for life. Lots of people carry herpes viruses (coldsores).

As long as you don't have blisters then you should be fine and of practically no risk of transmitting infection.

Try and stay healthy and avoid stress (as they are factors that suppress the immune system and allow the virus to come back)

[World health org says half a BILLION people are carriers - you are a long way from being alone]

Okay, half a billion sounds like a lot of people. I hope I will not have recurrent outbreaks cz I'm really afraid of that and read that some foods can trigger outbreaks.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the issue? What kind of foods do I need to avoid just to lessen the frequency of outbreaks. I also learned that herpes zoster virus is the same that causes Chicken Pox so it seems like this is a really common issue in health...
Original post by Apachecow

This is only try with HSV1. With HSV2, which causes approximately half of all genital herpes infections, you can still transmit the virus when you don't have the blisters. This is how people manage to pass on the virus when they don't know they have it. But if you have HSV2, OP, you can take aciclovir or other medication to reduce your risk of passing it on. It might be worth having another chat to your doctor (or even better, a sexual health clinic) to see what your options are, an hopefully to put your mind at ease a bit!
Original post by black tea
This is only try with HSV1. With HSV2, which causes approximately half of all genital herpes infections, you can still transmit the virus when you don't have the blisters. This is how people manage to pass on the virus when they don't know they have it. But if you have HSV2, OP, you can take aciclovir or other medication to reduce your risk of passing it on. It might be worth having another chat to your doctor (or even better, a sexual health clinic) to see what your options are, an hopefully to put your mind at ease a bit!

Okay. Thanks for that positive feedback. I will consider that..

Quick Reply

Latest