Downloading? Watch

mindy123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
We just upgraded to wireless broadband and when i do speed tests online it says that my download speed is like 4-8 mb- i've tried a few sites and it varies a lot.

But when i am downloading on utorrent it still only downloads at like 50kbs/s!:confused:

Why is it doing this? Also what is the significance of the upload speed? It gives me a speed that when i check the broadband speed aswell and some of my torrents seem to have higher upload speeds than download speeds now which never used to be the case!

I use utorrent btw.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The download speed of 4 to 8 refers to megabits per second, whereas 50 is referring to 50 kilobytes per second. There are 8 bits to a byte, so 500kbps = 4mbps.
This is what you'd expect if your connection was running at optimum pace. With torrents though, there are many overheads (especially if you don't have Port Forwarding) which use up your bandwidth as well.

The upload speed is simply how quick you can transfer from your PC to somewhere else, ie when sharing a torrent.
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i used to get over 250kb/s on a 2MB connection....so 50 seems a little low to me....
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ViolatedTreason)
i used to get over 250kb/s on a 2MB connection....so 50 seems a little low to me....
That'd be pushing it there. 2mb = 2000kb = 250KB.
james99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Torrent speeds depend on so many factors; the most important being number of seeds, number of peers, overall swarm speed and your own connection speed. It's very rare (in my experience) that the limiting factor for a torrent download will be your own connection speed, it's far more likely to be one of the other factors I mentioned.
Ryan_J_W
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is very rare that you will exceed even 1mb with a torrent, there is just so many variables.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (181)
18.8%
No (581)
60.33%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.87%

Watched Threads