The Student Room Group

Don't underachievers just annoy you?

This is a bit of a rant that may seem elitist but I don't care.

I'm getting all A's and get no congratulations, I get a sneer and a 'well you're clever aren't you'. no actually, i just work damn hard! I'm not allowed to worry about exams apparently either, as I'll ace them without a doubt.

A friend of mine calls her subjects piss easy and get's D's in them! A girl who is most definately not my friend got an E in her Chemistry AS, and now presumes to tell ME what to do in class!

Another mate has applied to a course at a red brick which is BBB and turned his nose up at the metropolitan equivalent whose offer was CDD, despite him getting BDEU at AS. He thinks he's going to get B's as 'he understands more now' but he still works 15-30 hours a week and skips lessons. As an A grade student I don't skip lessons because i think i know the content already, but he can.

And another has applied to a BBB course when he got BDUU and is only doing two a-levels!

Eurgh, then I'l be the one who can't celebrate on results day as I'll have to console them. Get a grip and get realistic!

Agree?

Scroll to see replies

humour them
Reply 2
:yep:
Read a book, drink some green tea and calm down.
Reply 4
i do get realistic on agree'ing with you, but just keep your feet on the ground afterall your just being teached what others already know?
Reply 5
People think that about me, but tbh, it's none of their business. I know that i'm working hard this year.

And when people go on at me that i'm not going to get any decent grades, i through my GCSE's in their face, and that shuts them up.

Remember, not everyone can be as clever as you. Most of the time people mess around because they don't understand the basics - i certainly did that last year.
Reply 6
I'm applying to a BBB and I got DDEU:woo:
Just let it go. Their lack of effort will only be their downfall in the long run, but it will make no difference to you whatsoever.

Concentrate on your own studies, and forget about what other people may or may not be doing.
Unfortunately, I agree. :sadnod:

However, overachievers annoy me just as much. Those who feel the need to impress other(s) with what they think are above-acceptable grades means that we, ironically, think less of them. I'm assured in wondering why people can't just keep themselves to themselves in academic terms. Obviously when people feel the need to do this, they must be compensating for something else they lack - just my opinion.

(N.B. I'm not directing this at the OP, but rather a generalisation of those who boast unnecessarily).
Not really. Just concentrate on yourself.
It's your future you should be thinking about.
They can dream all they want about theirs, but, unless they're hidden geniuses, then you'll be the one better off in the long run.
I choose to think of it positively; the more people that apply to my course with, say, BCDU, the more chance I have of getting in :biggrin:
fantasystar38

And another has applied to a BBB course when he got BDUU and is only doing two a-levels!

Eurgh, then I'l be the one who can't celebrate on results day as I'll have to console them. Get a grip and get realistic!

Agree?

This is the case in my year, and the year before. Everyone is applying for ABB/BBB places when they f****d up their AS levels lol. One person I know missed the grades for his firm and his insurance - the only person in year 13 to do that lol.

Also, I know someone who keeps taking the piss of former polytechnics despite the fact that he will inevitably be going to one next year.
Reply 12
Don't think about what other people are doing, it'll drive you insane.
Reply 13
Underachievers are better. At least they don't have to pretend they're clever by working hard.
Reply 14
If they were overachievers, they'd be competing for your uni spot. :p:
Reply 15
Pav90

there there youll be fine, nice website though!
Reply 16
Pav90

I'm hoping to get an offer from Bristol, so I'm not an underachiever.

Tbh you're from Wolves so I can understand those grades.
Just laugh... (inside, preferably)
Reply 18
This is just inevitably a fact of life. Why would you bother consoling someone who is "definitely not your friend" anyway :p:
Nowt wrong with underachieving.

Latest

Trending

Trending